1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can this tire be patched or saved?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by shovelracer, Jul 12, 2008.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

This tire suffered a failure today from what I figured to be a shale puncture. Skid only has 55 hours on it so they are new tires. They are just the standard bobcat tires that came with the machine. Im kicking myself for not upgrading the tires at purchase. Anyways the cut is 2.5" long and angular. I tried fix a flat then I tried a patch I had and it failed at 20psi. I shoved about 20 tire plugs wrapped around a nail in it and it held for a few minutes at 40 psi. Finally I put the tire on the front and finished the last bit of grading. I cant really afford to shell out for a new set right now, so Ill probably just buy one locally to get me through the next two jobs.

Is there anything I can do to patch this tire up? The tires are garbage so I dont want to bother with foam filling. Any suggestions for a good set to plan on in the future. Apparently Im real abusive to my tires even though I dont think so. It seems Im just usually in very rocky soils or tracking through the woods, otherwise im passing over a lawn.

2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

slashed tires are tough to fix...normally i would say just spend the money and get a new one because it is a lot less hassle, especially if you are using it a lot...if you want a quick fix until you can afford a new tire you can try a tube, as long as the slash isn't wide enough for dirt and stone particles to get in there and puncture the tube...but check your rim and make sure that the valve stem can be removed to allow a tube

what it comes down to is this is just a fact of owning equipment, slashed and punctured tires happen and its just an unwanted expense...get a new tire and don't worry about when it will fail next
  3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You have to take the tire off the rim then patch it from the inside but a tire shop can do that. You need a good patch and really grind the indside where the patch will go and use good vulcanizing glue. If you can tube the tire it will work if the tire is patched and you use a tube.
  4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Look around for a used set.......ebay, iron planet, tell the service dept. that you take your machine to, local tire centers, etc. Put it out there that you are in the market for some tires and something will pop up. With the conditions ( other than lawn ) that you are working in, "abusive" is a relative term.......sometimes the job just eats tires and that is all there is to it. I would do an internal review of how it happened and where and check your driving patterns and how you approach turns and the terrain....maybe there is some modifications that can be made there to improve. Make sure your rates allow you to repair your equipment........alot of folks think that "maintenance" is not a big deal or just a dollar here or there......it is not. What you gross per hour is a far cry from net.....don't cheat yourself by offering a low hourly rate, it will come back to bite you hard. As for make or brand or style, they all eat it in the conditions you described and one will fare equally with the other....
  5. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks guys, I may take it off and try to patch it again and see what happens. Ill get a new tire anyways , but If I can keep this for a spare that would be good. Changing them doesnt bother me cause it takes me less time to swap the rubber than it does to get the wheel off the machine. Obviously solid tires wont get this problem, but do they hold up in my rocky conditions or just chip away?
  6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

If you can swallow the price the Mclairen pnematic (sp) tires seem to be the way to go, but at 2600 or so they are not cheap. They don't have all the extra weight of the foam filled tires, no small issue if your on lawns a lot of the time.
  7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you are in rock what about going to a different style tread something like a forklift tread pattern where it is more rubber tread cap over a R-4 style tread.

One of the local blasting contractors has a two drill rigs that run on sharp blast rock they switched to a tread pattern like in the link I posted and no more flat tires from a slash. The drill rig runs skid steer tires and it is skid steering.