Can this work? dump bed insert on trailer/to make it a side dump?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Collegepro, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Collegepro

Collegepro LawnSite Senior Member

I am wanting to buy a 20 foot regular mowing trailer, and then buy a dump bed insert for a truck and place it in the front of the trailer sideways. So when I bag all my yards I can dump the grass straight into there and then Dump it right off the trailer.
    Can this be done?
    Are the bottom of the inserts flat, so I can mount it properly on the trailer?
    Will I need to cut out the rail of the trailer where the dump part is?

Just thought I would get some suggestions to see if this would be possible without to much of a headache, Also ideas and help would be great.

Thanks for your time guys!

Cole K

2. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think that it would be low to the ground. Therefore when you dump only some of the debris will come out then you will be raking or pitch fork. Also if you cut the rail it will weaken the trailer. You will need some extra engineering to beef it up due to the weight of the insert and debris. you will find it more usefull in the bed of a truck.

3. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure how balanced the insert is, front to back. But, when you put that across the trailer, it'll be unbalanced. If not when it's empty, it will be when you load it and, especially, when you dump it. It'll put a heck of a twist on the trailer. It sounds like you need one of these:

[​IMG]

I can't even fathom what that must cost.

4. phoenixsteeler

phoenixsteeler LawnSite Member

Someone makes them I think felling trailers http://www.felling.com/trailers/hydraulicdump/sidedump/index.asp
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  5. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

How mcuh can an insert of grass weigh?

Depending on the actual trailer you grt you could mount it up above the rail, then you get around cutting it and you get more dump height for easy unloading. Use the area underneath for storage. I would do it since used inserts can be had cheap

6. ducnut

7. ducnut

He's wanting to put it on a standard, 20' mowing trailer. The average trailer is far too flimsy to load that way. That Felling side-dump is stout, stout, stout. It'd probably be the last trailer one would ever buy.

8. Collegepro

Collegepro LawnSite Senior Member

We run 2 walker baggers and I was wanting it to be able to dump right into insert so I would not have to handle it by hand at all. The one thats on that website could hold your bobcat as well and would need a 1 ton to pull it around all day. I am thinking a insert empty weighs no more than a thousand lbs..so if you would put the insert on a 16 or 18 foot trailer it might balance the weight better

9. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Standard mowing trailer means nothing, whats standard? Whats the gvw? The inserts are mounted to a frame with a pivot at the back and one near the front for the hoist. I dont see it twisting but i only took a few engineering classes

10. Leland Lawn

Leland Lawn LawnSite Member