Can this work? dump bed insert on trailer/to make it a side dump?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Collegepro, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know where in MO you live, but, there are a bunch of trailer manufacturers scattered about. I think you'll have to have something custom built to take the twisting force. You won't realize how much stress that will put on the trailer, until you load it up and raise it to dump. I know it seems minimal, but, just having a WB setting in the front corner of a trailer will cause twist. A standard mowing trailer is built as cheap as possible (C-channel everywhere).

I'm not sure on shortening it up, overall. But, if you just moved the axles forward or ran a spread-axle to get support as close to the insert as possible, you might be able to get away with a lighter build. For sure, you'll need at least a 6" tube frame with tubular crossmembers and tubular curb rails. It'll need all the support you can get under it. You'll have to go with 5200lb axles, as well.

2. Collegepro

Collegepro LawnSite Senior Member

3. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I don't know why all the hate, this actually sounds like a good idea (and fun project). It would definitly take some forethought and planning but I don't see any reason it couldn't be done.

I would start with a heavier than average lawn trailer, mount the dump on the rails, as they're usually structural, probobly add some additional supports to tie the insert into the trailer cross members or frame. The hardest part I can forsee is getting the weight distribution right. You'd probobly want it towards the middle of the trailer.....a side ramp would be perfect for this. Walk behind in the front, insert in the middle, rider/other walk behind in the back?

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Lot of nay Sayers, that would work fine. Pretty we'll I think. Just get an equipment style trailer not a landscape trailer. They don't even have a rail on them but most manufacturers have them as an option. So get it with a rail and cut out what you don't want or get it without a rail and put one on yourself for the portions you want.

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  6. ducnut

Yep. I'm nowhere near an operation for stuff like that. I'll continue to live vicariously through those on the site who are.

No hate and no one saying it's a bad idea. Personally, I'm just saying one can't go out and buy a "lawn trailer" and do this. Most of them are built out of C-channel and angle iron. As "4 seasons" has suggested, maybe starting with an equipment trailer is best. When one starts shopping that style of trailer, they're going to end up at the heavy-duty end of the spectrum, which is where the OP has stated he doesn't want to be. The Carey trailer he posted up seems exactly like what he wants. If it costs a few thousand dollars more, I'd go that route, knowing it's built for that application. It's only $7K.

7. ducnut

This isn't your average "mowing trailer". Look at the framework under the deck and tail. I can't tell what the tongue is made out of. But, this thing is ready to go.

[​IMG]

8. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

^^ that's a nice trailer. Seems like it would be a lot of tongue weight tho?

9. ducnut

That's an understatement. Even if you took out all the extra deck length to where the insert is right in front of the tires, you're still going to have a ridiculous amount of weight, with insert and debris, on the tongue. I'm not sure even a Class V (1200lb tongue weight) hitch is enough. That's probably why Debris Systems puts their dumps on the rear.

10. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

ya they look nice but what is with the color? That thing will look like a pile of crap after half a season.