Can this work? dump bed insert on trailer/to make it a side dump?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Collegepro, Jan 27, 2014.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Is that a bad thing? Because my 10k equip trailer and every other trailer ive seen has those two as the main ingredients. Cant a dump insert be installed and removed with two guys?

Lets leave the hypothetical behind and use some real quantitative weights and measures. Its not that crazy of an idea, im pretty sure its even been done on this site a few times

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

A walking floor might be a more economical solution. Aluminum sides and floor mounted transverse on the trailer would lighten the load somewhat. The walking floor would move the product easily I believe.

Take a peek at this site and use a little imagination
    http://www.keithwalkingfloor.com
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

You're not even comparing like trailers. If you were truly an engineer as you say, you'd be offering valid arguments. But, you're not. We're talking about lawn trailers that are thrown together with thin-wall, C-channel and angle iron. They build the things as cheap as possible. They don't care about quality, because they're built to a price. An equipment trailer has liabilities attached to it, so the manufacturer has to be conscientious of that. Your trailer is rated to 10K pounds, so that should tell you there's a difference. Just stop with it, dude.

4. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

There's plenty of people on here that have done it.

Its not like hes trying to dump wet heavy mulch. Just glass clippings.

I would do it if I bagged
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. alldayrj

Dude, youre taking it too personal. My degree is in construction management, i took engineering classes, like i said. The forces from an insert dumping are directed to a flat frame thats mounted to a flat trailer. How does that create twisting?

I would do it in a heartbeat

Mower trailers have gvws and axle ratings too. They have liabilities.

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I knew that RJ, if you were an engineer you would have posted pictures of your train. I'm surprised that you haven't commented on my walking floor idea though. You seem to think outside the box as a rule
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. alldayrj

Haha thats true

How about one of those hand crank ones that they use to empty pickups? They use a heavy vinyl or canvas. Should be ideal for grass

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Same thing only different. Electric/hydraulic controlled rollers and a light weight conveyor belt.

But then, the argument would end.

Scrap the walking floor, carry on! :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Actually for grass clippings putting one of those crank pickup roller things right were you would put the insert would be way easier and simpler.

10. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not. Trust me.

I used to use one of these cheap, lawn trailers. You can put a single, 600lb machine up in the corner of the trailer and it'd be twisted. Put two ATVs, side-by-side, up front. If one is heavier than the other, it'll cause twist, especially bouncing down the road. They just don't have the strength, once the load gets away from the axles where the trailer frame has no support under it.

If the trailer is parked along the curb, we have a tendency to do the most convenient thing and that is to just throw everything in, curbside. Though, you say grass isn't that heavy, it is when you've got a full day's worth of clippings accumulated. When you go to the dump site and start raising the insert, you've got the all the weight of the clippings plus all the weight of the insert coming up and over to the one side. That'll twist an unreinforced frame, because there's no support under it. If you were putting the insert over the axles, it would be properly supported. The inserts that are manufacturer installed are clearly mounted to much heavier trailers than the OP is wanting to mount to.

I've been around various forms of trucking, for 18yrs. I've seen numerous unbalanced loads/trailers and what they do as far as fatigue. If you raise the bed on a tandem dump truck, the truck's nose raises up, even when it's empty. It's undeniable there's a weight shift, with the bed raised. The shift is why side-dump trailers roll the load off and not dump them. Even then, the empty tub still pulls the trailer over to the side. Some will even lift the opposite tires, when they hit the travel stops.

All I'm trying to get across is the trailers that are made with inserts on them are not normal, el-cheapo trailers. There's a reason for that. When you guys keep pushing that it's OK to just use any trailer available, you're doing a dis-service to the people who don't know any better. Just because it's been done, doesn't make it right. If you doubt what I'm saying, give someone a call, like Felling Trailers, and ask them.