Can this work? dump bed insert on trailer/to make it a side dump?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Collegepro, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

That's actually a great idea!

2. peeklandscaping

peeklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

so I just called these guys http://www.debrissystems.com/trailers.asp. the guy who answered said he wasn't in the office, but he said from memory the price was $25,000 for the 1800 model bumper pull open, and $32,000 for the same trailer but enclosed.

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Not quite as pimpin but cheaper, lighter, less to go wrong. Could probably make one any size you want

4. M & L

M & L LawnSite Senior Member

Get ahold of a guy on the Rhode Island thread named ferris diesel. He did it last season. I saw it and it works pretty good!! He used a 6 foot or short bed insert.

5. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

A steel dump insert weighs about 1000 pounds. So with rollers and a comealong, maybe. Not an easy job without a forklift or other machine to lift.

6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think you'll have a problem because the dumper pretty much has its own frame. If you were to rely on the trailer frame I could see it twisting
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Collegepro

Collegepro LawnSite Senior Member

What if I was to put jacks on the side where it was dumping, that would help it a lot from twisting I think and easy to install

8. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a pretty good idea, IMHO. I wouldn't have thought of that. I guess, you're thinking of a tongue jack on each corner?

9. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I don't get it. Cheapo trailers are only like a grand less than heavy trailers. Just get a heavy trailer

10. tinkerlawn

tinkerlawn LawnSite Member

I would just be worried about the tongue weight. We have a dump insert and with just leaves there were a few times where it scaled out to 3600# this past fall. Im not opposed to this idea as I thought of doing it myself a few years back but couldn't afford an insert. I feel like it can be done, I would just crunch some numbers to see how much grass in lbs you intend to carry between dumps. Then you can approximate your tongue weight and go from there as you may need to add air bags to your tow vehicle. Let us know what you decide and post pics if you fab up something yourself!