1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can this work? dump bed insert on trailer/to make it a side dump?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Collegepro, Jan 27, 2014.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

2. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have min sota trailers with side dumps. I also have a 32 ft 5th wheel. Mounted a dump up front, full size 8 x 8 dump. When we dump full of wet grass all side dump trailers will flex, groin and moan a bit. No matter the degree you have or claim to have everything will twist - maybe not to the name eye but grass clippings can be wet and heavy.
  3. FerrisDiesel

FerrisDiesel LawnSite Senior Member

Here is the side dump I am running......the last picture is the 6.5 foot truck craft insert I was running which worked awesome! Just mounted it to the wood floor of the trailer.
    I decided it worked so great, that I wanted to build a box that I could drop the gate and drive the mower in the back to dump. It's pretty tounge heavy, but I dump it every night and it's not too bad.
    It moans and groans, I like it so much, I am actually thinking of mounting it on a NPR Box truck!

4. peeklandscaping

peeklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

FerrisDiesel, that's pretty cool. My question is, if you are dumping a full load of leaves, wont they just pile up after a bit while dumping? If your dumping from the back, you can drive the truck forward, and that allows everything to slide out. Is the side dump the same?
  5. FerrisDiesel

They dump out pretty easily, I just keep pulling ahead and hit the brakes every couple feet. The only problem I have is with grass......if I leave it in for 2 days, I have to fluff it with a pitchfork before I dump, or else it won't dump that easily.
  6. peeklandscaping

peeklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I normally climb into to the leaf box during cleanup season and stomp on them to pack down when we're on a big job. Minimizes dump trips, but packs in real tight. Don't know how well that would dump... probably like your 2-day old clippings?
  7. FerrisDiesel

I have a hatch I can open on the roof and get in there and pack them down. I usually do that 3-4 times before it gets packed in. It's actually not that bad dumping the packed leaves. I need to take some flat steel and angle it where the tailgate is, to help make it slide out a little easier.
  8. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone that starts a sentence with "dude" looses all credibility imo