1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

can u cut it shorter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 27, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

most of my customers let me do it my way, but there are always a couple that need it shorter, need it longer.... anyhow, we use walk behinds , and i have only one customer i lower the blades for, takes two seconds with a couple of wrenches. do most of u raise and lower blades to suit each customers preference, or just tell them this is the height, period.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I can go from 2.5" to 5" with a push of my foot, so I adjust to what I feel is the right highth. Some do want it cut short and one does want it at 4.5", but most of them I cut at what I feel it should be. ;)
  3. Tell the truth, let them make the decision, cut shorter or taller as requested. The customer is always right! Ha ha ha
  4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I agree with gusbuster.

I used to put up a fight with some who wanted me to 'plow it' instead of mow it...but not anymore.

I just want them to smile as they hand over the money. :)

I do have a couple of "I want it shorter" types that I have eased up a 1/4" ever 2 or 3 cuts and so far they haven't caught on...hehehe :D I've gained an inch (from 2 inches up to 3 inches) on them so far...

All in all, most just never say a word abiut cutting heigth and let me do my thang.
  5. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I work everyday to please the customer, if they want it long, then its long, if they request it short one week and long the next....so be it. Its not that tough to pull one pin on the Lazer Z to adjust the height of the deck. I suppose if you had a fixed deck on a walkbehind it would be a pain, but otherwise why not work to please the person with the "real" green.
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

the customer is always right but I have a minimum height that I will cut at. that height is determined by leaving two spacers on the bottom of my spindles.

I have had some people want it cut shorter but at shorter I hit everything in the grass...iron pins, old bush stumps, all kinds of crap and I just tell them NO.
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i have one that wants it shaved. im at two inches and thats as low as she thinks my mower will cut. believe it or not her grass holds up to it. by the way im talkin fescue in 90 + temps.
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I don't mind lowering to 2.5 if the customer is on a fert program and has an irrigation system and uses it but all of my other accounts are at 3" and they look fine and are relatively healthy , even after the baking season. I'm cutting mostly KY blue with red fescue mix and rye.
  9. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

I usually cut it the way my customers want it. Most of them let me choose the height. I do have a couple of clients that are very picky about the height. I also have a min cutting height. Some like it to be so short it is almost scalped, but I will NOT cut it that short. The lowest setting for any of my clients is 2.5. ;)
  10. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I have some accounts that like it as short as possible. But after talking with them and explaining all the benefits they understand, although I cut for them at 2.5". Most are 3 - 3.5" depending. Wife likes ours really short so we have a compromise too.....hehe!