1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

can u get ins out of state?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bobbygedd, Mar 9, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

we will be changing health ins by may. we currently have aetna. i hear about guys in other states with very low premiums. can i, living in jersey, get health ins thru a company based in another state? sorry to sound so stupid, i've never had to shop for health coverage.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That is actually a good question. There are a few different ways to look at it. Many of the insurance companies used are, of course, based out of state. However, they all have a range of states that they operate in and don't. So often, we will here about this or that insurance company not being available in certain select states. All that it boils down too, I guess, is that all we can do is shop, shop, shop.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Any insurance company that will cover a NJ citizen is gonna be high. Unfortunate, but true. Period
  4. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Many health ins. companies write policies in states other than the one in which they are domiciled.

I think what you are asking is "Can you get a lower rate by saying you live in B.F.E., Kansas instead of New Jersey's higher rates."

Naturally, the answer to that is NO! THey (health insurers) rate by the ZIP CODE that you live in.

I suppose you could collude with some agent to defraud the company, but they would eventually find out, cancel the policy back to inception & turn you over to the State's Attorney for prosecution.

5. old dog

old dog LawnSite Member

Whoever you deal with,ask if they are licensed in Jersey.That is the key.
  6. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

One problem you may have is that insurance companys are set up with certain doctors and hospitals. My parents are dual resident NJ and PA there insurance is from PA often they have to go back to pa for regular doctors visits. Only for emergency can they go straight to doctor or hospital in nj. I believe it is termed out of network if they are out of pa and there deductables are higher then.
  7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.njfb.org/memberbenefits.htm New Jersey link

I would check into Farm Bureau if I were you. We are in Iowa and I'm gonna guess premiums differ depending on which region of the country you live in. We went with an HSA through them, had to pay thirty-five dollar annual membership fee, but got the best rate available around here for BC/BS, $3200 out of pocket, $306 per month premium, if we meet out of pocket 100% is covered. Preventative health care is also covered. See if you can find an agent locally and give them a shot.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

waiting for a call back from them now.
  9. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me know what you find out I'm curious about the different regions of the country and how wide a variance there is in rates.

Good Luck