can u lime and fert at the same time?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobbygedd, Mar 25, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

2. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Yes you can lime & fert at the same time.
    There are actually granular combination products made that way.
    Check Lesco

3. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

ME?.....sure fertalime....7-1-3, not the best product out there but sure is a money maker

4. lars

lars LawnSite Member

You can make a fert and lime application, AT THE SAME TIME, however it is unlikely you can apply them TOGETHER.

There will most likely be a difference between the partice size and weight of your fertilizer and lime. Thus one may throw a longer distance than the other. Not only does this screw up your calibration, but may stripe the lawn too.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

no, i didn't mean in the same hopper. i meant do one, refill, do the other. ok, i remember in this class one time a long time ago, they said a certain fert shouldn't be applied at the same time with lime, as one will interact with the other, and nuetrelize its effect. i really don't remember the details, thought one of you guys would know.

6. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Carovail has a 7-1-3 combo fert & lime product, one bag, one app. 50 lbs covers 3,000 sq ft, I pay around 5.85 a bag.

Like I said its not the best lime treatment or the best fert treatment, but you know those people that always want you to sharpen your pencil when the contracts go out.....well guess what....you get fertalime...

Now I not even gonna ask if you can figure the amount of NPK that is applied ....:)

7. With each release N , some of the N will be lost due to lime application, not much of a problem with a high % slow release N!

8. Talstar

Talstar LawnSite Member

J.C. a 7-1-3 applied @ 13 lbs/1000 gives you just short of 1lb of N per 1000