Can warranties be transfered on used mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by webdrifter, Mar 1, 2007.

1. webdrifter

webdrifter LawnSite Member

I found a Exmark Lazer Z with only 1 hour on it that is for sale by owner, and was considering purchasing it. The only thing that concerns me is that a Hustler dealer told me that mower warranties were not transferable. I was told by an individual that you could transfer a warranty for $100. Does anyone actually have any experience with getting a warranty transfered, or have any knowledge about this?

Thanks

2. CBB

CBB LawnSite Member
    from MS/LA

Yes the warranty can be transfered. Any local Exmark dealer can get the owner information changed.

3. webdrifter

webdrifter LawnSite Member

Any more comments on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

4. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

You will have better luck calling the mfr to check on that, alot of manuals specifically say warranty is limited to original purchaser and is non tranferable check with your dealer and see if they are ok with running any warranty work under the previous owners name they will get paid anyway for warranty work from the mfg so most dealers dont really care

5. Gaturf

Gaturf LawnSite Member

I bought a used exmark last year and i went to my local Ace Hardware (who handled all my maint.) All they had to do was call the mfr and give them my serial number and my updated info. I havent had a problem yet with warranty

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'd be REALLY leary about that.. 1 hour? something sounds fishy. i've seen them hit the dealer with 3 hours on the meter due to testing and adjusting at the factory. a one hour mower should be sold as new unless it's actually been on a yard. if so then it should be a demo.

7. CBB

CBB LawnSite Member
    from MS/LA

Not sure about the 1 hour thing. A lot can come out of the crate with an hour on them. On the warranty concern, it can be transferred at no charge to the new customer. I did one today.