Can water ruin the spindles and/or blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, May 25, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Everyone knows that sound, when you run an engaged mower over water while mowing. I am curious though, how much if any damage can you do to the spindles and/or blades running over the water while the deck is engaged?

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The spindles technically are sealed,but..............After a long enough period of time the water will work it's way in.
    The blades? I wouldn't worry about them.

Your concern is obviously with running in the wet weather you've been having..............I wouldn't worry too much, unless you are running over a lot of standing water.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is what has basically been going on, running over the standing water.

I am worried about the spindles as a result from the blades.

4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have mowed in areas that were so wet that the water was flowing from under the tires like a speed boat. No damage at all.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Gotcha.
    The bearings themselves are sealed,but again after a prolonged period of forced water(blade lift pushing water) I would expect some to work it's way in.
    Are you running spindles with grease fittings or are they no maintenance spindles?
    If they are the greaseable type,just keep pumping grease in them to push any droplets of water out that may get in.

6. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

I agree with dvm put in grease every day when it is really wet.

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I've been pumping mine full of grease just about every day. The only thing I worry about with the standing water is dulling the blades.

8. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I have had a company policy for years no standing water.
    The old type bearings use to burn up in a flash even with water proof trailer grease. The new tapered Timpton bearings with the pressure release have been going strong on two of my mowers for over 7 years.

Ues to be if you over greased the old bearings you would pop the seals.

9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i think the only real concern with water getting into the sealed bearings is when it's from a pressure washer, puddles shouldn't hurt anything.

10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I worry about getting stuck, wish we could get a break for a day or two. But I grease daily