1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can we delay the start of the mowing season by 4 weeks??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Mar 19, 2003.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems as if extra work is just falling onto my lap. Winter was unkind for doing extra jobs, but now that the weather is cooperating, everything is piling up. Not that this a bad problem to have, but it can be overwhelming. I have about 7 weeks of side jobs to do, and mowing season is only 2 weeks away!! Hope everybody has a great season!!
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Time to get busy! You may want to look into hiring some help!

As stubborn and hardheaded I can be, I agree. Only problem is that the unemployment rate in my county is consistently the first or second lowest in the state. 1.2%. There is a large size college in my town and I might tap into that labor pool.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

haha don't plan on getting any work out of them on a Saturday morning :dizzy: They will not have time on a weekday and on Saturday morning they'll still have a hangover, on Sat. afternoon will want to hang with friends and on Sunday your customers won't want you to work.... Maybe you can find a couple straight ones that would be of use to you, if you can you may have a good thing going. Good luck,
  5. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Know the feeling. Three weeks ago was working a couple hours a week. Now that the grass is turning green an growing everyone wants four months of neglect fixed at one time. Glad to be working again but am looking forward to getting a schedule going
  6. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I would check in with the local college if they have some form of agriculture program. Those kids might be interested in working a couple days a week to make some extra cash.

I beg to differ, BHB. Back in the days when I had employees, I discovered that college students were much more dependable than high school kids. Sure, college students party (been there, done that), but they also need $$$$ to buy the party supplies. I've always treated my employees well and expected the same from them in return. Time to place a help wanted ad in the college newspaper!!