Can we talk trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Pitbullawns, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Pitbullawns

Pitbullawns LawnSite Member

What is everyone using here? I bought a Dodge Cummings Diesel with the hopes of using for many years in my business. I have had nothing but trouble with it and some major, MAJOR repairs in a short time. I know lots of people swear by Dodge and swear by Diesels but I am so FED UP. I am contemplating a Toyota Tundra because of the tow capacity. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

2. Fred B

Fred B LawnSite Member

We personaly use DOdge one ton duallys and will be going to the 5500 series. I am not goiung to defend Dodge but you can always get a lemon in any manufacter. We have never had any major problems with our trucks that being said. One thing you may want to consider and it dosn't matter what brand you buy, and that is what the GVW of the truck is. It is always better to go on the high side rather than the low.

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I've got a GMC 2500 diesel (6.5 diesel). I haven't had any major issues with the truck but anytime I have repairs that need to be done it always costs more than it would on a gas truck. But with that said I will only buy diesel trucks.

4. S.A.L.

S.A.L. LawnSite Member
    from NOLA

What are your needs?
    You've provided no useful information.

5. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

First sorry to hear that, New or used? Engine or 518/618 47re/48re transmission issues?? What generation 2nd or 3rd gen? of the Cummins ISB you running?. For me the Dodge & Cummins diesel has been the best truck combo I have run to date, we really happy:). Diesels are not for everyone or every business. Unless your driving over 25,000 miles a month, or towing over 10,000 lbs, I would say go gasoline; because the diesel choice, then becomes a personal preference or want more than necessity. We have beat this topic up in the truck & trailer forum for years now. Generally a diesel will cost less to operate, and save you money on fuel economy. I recently had some seat time in a buddies 2006 Toyota Tundra 4x4 with the I Force V8 crew cab. Compared to my Dodge Cummins it was a slug, cab was not as big either my legs were cramped,, Japs are small people:rolleyes:. It was nothing special, I really was expecting much more, the transmission was smooth shifting, of course I will find issues with anything gas too. I have the diesel bug, and it's nasty you don't want it:nono:.

However that does not help you, when these diesels are on, nothing gas can touch them towing or Power & torque. When their off or broke down, we hate them, and want gasoline. I have had my fair share of diesel trouble, over the last 20 years engine & tranny problems for both 6.2 & 6.5 GM diesels, 7.3L Fords. So IMO it's really up to you, and if you want to stick with diesel. Going back & forth does not help either,

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  6. luckydooley

luckydooley LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a brand new 08 Tundra 5.7 v8 couple weeks ago. I love it and would suggest one to anyone. I have had a lot of haters because I did not buy "american". On the other hand its almost like joining a club, I get waves from other tundra drivers, kinda like the motorcycle people do.

My Tundra has 10,600 lb tow capacity. Good Luck!

7. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

You purchased what you needed, and it works for you, the hate is directed at what your driving not you. you know what atheists say about gatherings of humans ie: clubs, church's or groups their for the weak minded.:rolleyes:

8. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I just bought my first Diesel 2 months ago. I have been very impressed with it so far. It makes a great truck for snow plowing. I also have a 5.4L gas, and I have no complaints with that either. I will probably mainly buy diesel from now on, but I'm not against gas.

9. luckydooley

luckydooley LawnSite Senior Member

See what I mean about the haters?

I cetainly didnt buy it to be part of a club or group, I was actually kinda suprised! However, I see nothing wrong with humans gathering, I dont think our race would have gotten this far if we hadn't.

10. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

what year is it? and what engine