Can well water stunt grass growth?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by cenlo, Jul 25, 2006.

1. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

We installed a sprinkler system for a customer about 6 weeks ago. Just went back to see and the lawn and it looks like crap. Soil is good...not sand. Set system to run twice as much......morning and evening. The water gives off a bad odur, can hard water or something in the water effect the growth of the turf?

Thanks in advance, Don

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Check the well logs for a chemical analylis, and see if there are any unusual factors.

The bad odor is probably sulfer.

Does he have a heavy clay soil? You may be overwatering.

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like he is over watering to me. It should only be done in the am from what I'm told.:)

4. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Over watering.

The best wa to water is. Less days more water.

For example if you are watering every day for 20 min. you never let the grass a chance to dry out. So its better to water 2 or 3 days a week for a hour or more per zone. Its the same amount of water it just lets the grass dry out, to prevent root rot, fungus, and whatnot.

If it was new sod then you would want to water everyday for a few weeks. But 6 weeks it should have good roots I would cut back to 3 days a week for like 30 min. just guessing.

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Sure. Water is the universal carrier of a multitude of agents. Overwatering can also contribute to Phytophthora, commonly called root rot. Too little water = dry dead grass... too much water = soggy dead grass. :)