Can you add a hedge trimmer to a T-230

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dfor, Jul 11, 2003.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Shindaiwa T-230 trimmer. I think I read that you can add a hedge trimmer attachment to the T-230 (part # 78700)??? Called the dealer and they said you would have to go with the split boom system. I'd rather not spend $500, compared to $225. Has anybody done this.

Edit: Just found in a search that a couple of people have done it. I guess some dealers don't know about it.

2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

yes you can add the articulating trimmer to the 230 shaft. i did it and that same hedge trimmer will also fit my kawasaki trimmer as well.

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

My dealer hadn't heard of it either when
    I went to him last year.
    He had to call to find out.

If you get one be careful when swapping back and forth from string trimmer to hedge trimmer.

Somehow, I messed up the hole on the shaft that the hex head bolt goes into. I guess I wasn't aligned quite right and sorta "stretched the hole" and now neither piece tightens down right. They both wobble.

Looks like I need to replace the shaft.

4. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

You definitely can. I put one on in the spring and I am very happy with it. It takes a little time to switch over and you do have to be careful with aligning holes but it's a beautiful tool once all is working well.

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

One of my older T230's is begging for one of these. $225 is really a bargain :)