Can you add high flow to a skid

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by t190, Mar 26, 2007.

1. t190

t190 LawnSite Member

can you make a regular flow bobcat into a high flow one?
    thanks

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I doubt it, I've always been told that high flow was a factory installed option. I could be wrong, but I'd guess that this is the case for all MFG's, I definately know it's true for Cat.

3. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

I checked into it before for my 773T. You can physically do it, but it wouldn't be worth it in time and money. IIRC, the pump and plumbing was over $3000 add in labor and you are probably close to $5000.

Even though they offered a high flow 773T as a factory option, I was told I would be dissapointed by the performance. The 56 HP engine just isn't enough to get full performance out of the machine with high flow. I assume you were thinking about this on a T190 (your user name)? I wouldn't recommend it.

4. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

It's not as easy as just replacing the pump. I remember someone doing the conversion using used parts and while it worked, the pressures were not correct in the system and the hydrostat drive motor seemed to fail prematurely. Unless you're doing this yourself it's just going to be way too expensive. If you goof up it gets even more expensive. Also best to have more than 60Hp for best results. What attatchments do you use that require high flow, trencher, stump grinder..etc?

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I had several 1840's with high flow put on after the fact others I had put on as a field installed option. The more hp the better the system will perform. It takes a lot of horse to push 40 gpm at 3-4K PSI under load plus move the machine around. CATs new machines will have field installed high flow available as will CASE. They lost that ability in the later machines. One issue with high flow is that it packs more hoses and another pump (on the case machines you add the hf pump to the aux. pump in the older machines). I did notice more hose failures due to hosing rubing together. I have not seen that on the 95XT or the 465 which have all been high flow. Perhaps because they are physically much bigger machines.

6. imjustdave

imjustdave LawnSite Member

Anyone do a HF upgrade on a John Deere CT 332 ?