Can you Aerate all season long?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by galusham, Mar 28, 2006.

1. galusham

galusham LawnSite Member

I've learned from reading on this forum that it is usually best to aerate in the fall, you should NOT aerate a new lawn, and you should NOT aerate during a drought. With all of that said, can you aerate during the entire growing season without causing damage? The growing season here is about April through Sept.

Also, looking at the Plugr 850 hydro and the turfco turnaer 26. Looks like they each have advantages. I like the cam operation of the plugr and I like the chariot on the Turfco. Do you guys think a chariot will be available for the Plugr? Maybe an aftermarket company will make one. I wonder if it would have enough power to pull a person? That would be nice.

Thanks.

2. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

Most companies try to sell a service during down times thats why you see more aeration done in the fall and right before spring. The best time to aerate is when the grass is at its peak.

3. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

IMO Spring or Fall less stress on the grass. less heat the grass will take it better

4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Just take a look at the high class golf courses in your area - Those people know about grass - you will notice that the aereate in the fall - (late sept. - thru middle of oct.) I have talked to them. The reason for that time of year is multifold - 1. The grass is building root systems, and dragging nutrients from the leaf down to the roots. 2. The process of pulling the plugs allows air to get into the soil that has been compacted over a summers worth of driving over when mowing and whatever. 3. The frost and expansion that happens during winter has a place to go (into the holes) so therefore, the soil can loosen itself up thru the frost and thaw process. 4. The fall nutrients put on can be carried into the root system area via fall rains, and even early spring rains, as the holes will still be there.

IMO - the only time to aereate is the fall - you are spitting into the wind and or just ripping your customers off if you do it any other time.

5. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

Around here everone is brainwashed into wanting it done in the spring. So we offer it. We also offer fall aeration and get 0 calls for the service.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's the same thing with dethatching. Spring is the WORST time to do it and fall is the best.

7. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

All that's true for cool season turf. Ask a golf course superintendent growing bermuda or zoysia and I'm sure you would get a different response.

Warm season grasses benefit from early summer aeration.

8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You got any scientific evidence to back that up you are ripping off the customer.:laugh: :laugh:

9. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

The Hydro Plugr will in no way pull you around, the front wheels simply aid in the motion of the machine, while the cam action actually walks the machine as well, so you have to develop a "feel" for the 2 together. Once you get some experience with it, it is really easy on you tho. I have aerated a lot this spring and have overseeded. We have not had a lot of rain but the lawns are already "sprouting" quite well. Fall is best, but unfortunately a lot of folks just dont get motivated to spend until the spring. The best thing is to aerate in the fall, and overseed, then aerate in the spring and apply organic fertilizer and or material.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Then what do you do when you have had a big time drought the previous year and customers have lost major portions of their lawn because of it...tell them in March/April to wait until September to aerate and reseed? I don't think so cause they will just find someone else to do the job and not wait another 6 months to have a lawn again.

I have 20 or more customers like that right now btw...