Can you answer this?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Steiner, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Steiner

Steiner LawnSite Senior Member

I am a technology (shop) teacher in central NY, and I am looking to start up a small landscaping/home services company (Sole Prop) for additional income in the summer.

I find people I work with are constantly asking me to do landscape/handyman work as they have talked to my other customers. I will be doing small jobs for people I work with, and would not advertise as I have a full time job. I rent most larger 1000+ equipment. I would be working from late June to early September and a few weekends. I will not hire any workers.

I have 5+ years experience in the landscaping arena, but I have a few questions:

1. Do you need a contractor licence in NY?

2. Who do you use in NY for insurance of your business?

3. Do I have to collect sales tax if I contract a job?

4. Can I get away with an F-150 (7500lb towing cap) to pull a small dump trailer? Or should I jump up to a 250? (I am a ford guy). Remember only 2 month a year (less than 10 jobs per summer on average)

5. I will eventually get a small TLB in the 30-35hp range, but for right now what is the most profitable jobs for a new guy without a ton of equipment? (I won't be mowing as my teacher job interferes)

2. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

Am not in NY but, Here is what i did when stared out here in KS.

#1 called my city to obtained my Buz license.
    #2 I used the same insurance company that insured my home and cars.
    #3 My estimate is including tax.
    #4 You said Small dump trailer, How small, and what is a gross weight on that tailer? Does it have electric break?

3. Steiner

Steiner LawnSite Senior Member

mowgli

if you collect sales tax, do you just save the paperwork and hand it off to your tax prep person and call it a day? Is it this easy?

I would like to buy a Brimar 10'-12' dump trailer for the F150 but if the towing capacity is 7500lbs i only have about 5,000 pounds of dirt payload which is only a few yards. Specs Below:

Bri-Mar DT712-10

? GVWR: 10,000 lbs.
    ? Bed Size: 7’ x 12’
    ? Empty Weight: 2,800 lbs.
    ? Height of Deck: 34”
    ? Vol. Capacity: 5.4 Cu. Yds.