can you answer this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Mar 8, 2004.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

just curious,
    it seems that realistic questions get minimal answers on here whereas casual stories get the most response. why for instance would a guy asking if a walkbehind he just found was a good deal only gets 2 replies, when a thread about college tuition gets 7 replies. why does everyone answer threads not pertaining to lawncare over those that do?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I feel that when it comes to threads not relating to equipment, people can use that information more to their advantage. I know that I personally hate to read threads about equipment or post threads about equipment. But when someone posts something about education, business, employees, customers, etc. it relates more to the general interest of everyone
  3. lawnwizards

sure, everyone enjoys a good read thread. but what about the new guy who has a serious question. he may get discouraged thinking that no one wants to help him with his problem. i try to read all threads and i'll comment on the ones i have knowledge on.
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly, some people really bust the hump to make a living at this, why should we just turn that over for free? Schooling costs money, everywhere, and in any form.

I try to ad input that's credible where I can, but I'm certainly not going to hand over everything (not that I know everything), as would I not expect others to do so for me.
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Lawnwizards,It's not intentional,people that have been around for a while have seen a lot of the same questions over and over.
    No one should get discouraged because a particular thread doesn't get overwhelming response.....It isn't anything personal.

New guys just need to stick around and they will learn.............
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is true. I think that also a lot of times why people don't respond to certain threads could be their lack of experience with certain equipment or they might feel embarassed to answer or post a comment that they know nothing about.

Like me with exmarks, I do not know a single thing about them. I know they are top of the line, but other than that I just know they are expensive. So I don't respond to threads about exmark.

Not everybody has the experience with the equipment but when it comes other items not relating to equipment everybody usually has experience or experienced something similar to it.
  7. lawnwizards

i understand what you all are saying. alot of peoples questions could be answered using the search function. i have to admit, i do love to hear the escapades of bobby gedd. i just hope my lawncare experience never equals his..*LOL*
  8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

There is some stuff on here that is nothing more than a matter of opinion. One guy will post positively, one guy will post the opposite. Personally, I think most equipment questions are worthless and try not to pay attention to them. And a lot of repetitive newbie questions get no response from me.
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Or for that matter how can a thread asking about why another thread and another thread get more posts than the 2 other threads? Follow me?
  10. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

You lost me lawnman_scott! (j/k) LOL!