Can you apply crabgrass prevention after overseeding???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by fastrunner, Apr 14, 2002.

1. fastrunner

fastrunner LawnSite Member

hi, i have a couple of lawns that i have to overseed. i live in chicago.. the seed is a bluegrass, fescue, rye mix.. the lawns i am seeding are thin but do have some grass. Is is ok to thatch, aerate, then just overseed with a broadcast spreader?? Can i apply a crabgrass prevention afterwards like dimension?? what would be the right steps..?? thanks. jeff

2. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

duh, no.

3. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

there is a pre emergent that you can use when overseeding. check with lesco. they can advise you

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Dimension will not allow new grass to grow beyond the germination stage if at all. Just ask my neighbor, I told him not to waste his money on grass seed after he put Dimension down but he did it anyway. Not one single seed germinated.

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

You can use TUPERSAN.

It is somewhat costly, and not very effective. You will have to re-apply a pre-M after mowing the new turf twice. By then I'd suggest Dimension as it may also be used as a post emergent if crabgrass is caught in 1st or 2nd tiller stage.

Bob

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

You can use Tupersan but I would not. Seed the lawn, let it get established and mowed 4-5 times then deal with weeds and crabgrass as needed.

7. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Drive 75 allows seeding at time of application but only has a residual of 30 days.