can you bag with a scag belt 52 walk behind, or do you have a better idea?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clydesdale, Nov 27, 2004.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking for next year. How about on the last cut, just picking up some of those straggler leaves. It might make the lawn spottless for the winter. Do baggers work on these things, or only on things like the tiger etc...

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

clyde--I don't have the skag and bag that you are talking about but I dunno why it wouldn't work.

I have a LESCO--and bagger...VERY SIMILAR TO SKAG and it works nicely.

GEO :)

3. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

I have a scag 48" wb belt drive I have the bagger, I don't use it very much but when I do it works very well. it will fill up very quickly but for picking up straggler leaves it should do a nice job and if you use Meg-Mo blades or Gators
    it will work even better.

4. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Sure can. I used to run that set-up. Most catalog companies and mower shops sell those catchers. "Grass Gobbler" is a common, if not expensive, brand. And when you wear out that machine, chances are it will fit on something else. Also, keep an eye on the tire pressure. The weight of the full bag tends to bend the deck to one side a little. Good luck.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

we have been running catchers on Scags for years. Never bent any decks or had any problems. We run jumbo catchers and even add on an extension for cleanups. Grass Gobbler, or Rackem cathers work well. :)

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have to agree with the others, I don't see why a bagger wouldn't work

7. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

ok where can i get one of these in the off season? Is there a website. I imagine scag makes a catcher, correct. Or do you say stick with the brands mentioned above? CAN IT BEND MY DECK? HAS ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN? This would obviously change my mind.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Look at the accelerator catchers. They are aluminum so they are a lot lighter weight than a steel catcher and they will not rust like a steel catcher will. A steel catcher gets very heavy when its full so that aluminum with its lighter weight will make it a lot easier on you. They are more expensive but well worth it IMO.

10. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry for the confusion. Let me reiterate a bit. The weight of the catcher won't bend the deck on the machines made in the last 10 years, but it does add weight to one side of the machine and that can cause an uneven cut. Especially on slopes. It just takes a little bit more strategy.