Can you believe this lady???????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnSharks, Apr 3, 2007.

1. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Friday, I was mowing on a street in my own neighborhood that I maintain 5 of the 9 or so lawns. Between two of my accounts lives a lady about 50 years of age, nice looking, very polite but her lawn looks like crap. I've tried for a couple of years to take over her mowing and to get her lawn in the same beautiful shape as her neighbors but she won't budge. She will mow about every two weeks or so and has never edged or trimmed. You get the picture. Well Friday, I'm mowing her neighbors lawn and she comes over and stops me and I'm thinking, hey, I'll do her lawn and get it in good shape before Easter. I'm riding my ZTR and the walk behind is on the trailer.
    I asked if she needed me to mow and she said that she had noticed that I never use the walk behind on her street but she had seen us use it on other lawns in the area. I quickly explained when we use the riders and when we use the WB's. She said she didn't want me to mow but wondered if she could BORROW the WB while I cut the other lawns on her street with the ZTR!!!
    Can you believe some customers? Do they think we are complete idiots or are they just that ignorant?

2. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i would have said sure but i need to help you!

3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have said you can borrow it for $100 lol.

4. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

;) You should have just stared at her in a died silence!!;)

5. Mowman16

Mowman16 LawnSite Senior Member

wow, that is one dumb person.:laugh: :laugh:

6. marckxman

marckxman LawnSite Member

Maybe tell her the only people allowed to "borrow" equipment are called employees. Tell her you will need her SSN and will start her @ $8/hr.

Seriously, that is messed up. I would not lend out even a string trimmer let alone a mower of any type. I can think of half a dozen way for that to turn into a nightmare right off the bat.

7. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

thats great. just imagine, youd let her borrow it and then in a week or two she would have a little trailer and a w/b towing behind her SUV :laugh:

8. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Don't give her any ideas>>>>>>>>

9. marckxman

marckxman LawnSite Member

Maybe I'm wrong for thinking this way but I just picture her being a realtor. This is the only type of person I can picture with the stones to ask that question.

The realtor's mantra? "It never hurts to ask"
    The reality. There are many things that should never be asked.

10. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

ive been asked before,not for a mower but other tools, i simply tell them i will loan it to them then tell them the price.. lol
    i would have said sure! for 6k you can use it! and i usually get the ( wow i cant believe i asked that) look !
    i have had calls from my clients before, (client)we are going to home depot to pick up a few things, as you know we dont have a truck, can we use yours? it will only take a hour or so! lol