Can You Believe This???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by oldschool68, Mar 28, 2005.

1. oldschool68

oldschool68 LawnSite Member
    from IL

Found out that in 2004 a LCO bid $995 on 40 acres, 39 locations How can a brother compete with that??? The largest parcel was 501,840 sq. ft.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

$25 per acre doesn't surprise me at all...39 locations does though. Are you sure that number is correct?
  3. Mack

Mack LawnSite Member

I can believe it. Just found out I lost a bid on 52 acres, 10 of which has to be mowed twice aweek. I went in at 40 per acres. A new company just starting out went in at 19 per acre. I am having a hard time competing this year.
  4. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Hang in there fellas, these turds won't be around next year. They might not be around in July with those prices. I wonder if they really know what their costs will be to cut that kind of acreage? I need at least $32 an acre to unload my equipment.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you even want to try to compete with that? I hear ya with the lowballing. 40 acres for a grand. Hah - let him do it. He will be tied up making squat while you take the other work. Less than 25 bucks an acre at 39 locations, you would have to be insane. This joker cannot be making any money at this, period. Hell I get 30 bucks for a 15 minute mow and go on a 5000 or less plot.
    There is room for bottom feeders, they are a fact of life that won't go away. Check that they do go away but are usually replaced by another goof who thinks they know business. Don't feel bad my man, you wuld feel worse getting 25 bucks for an acre of cutting.
  6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

im a new start up and i would NEVER even think that cheap, it does him no good to land an account that will take more time then it is worth... i just dont get it....

if people would would consider taking care if the future of there industry, they would make money , and be in busines for more then a year... i just dont get it?????

39 locations, travel time?????