Can you believe this??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Collegepro, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Collegepro

Collegepro LawnSite Senior Member

I put in a mulch bid which was going to take a total of 70 yards...Brown dyed mulch...This guy was taking my bid and another bid...The owner told me today that the other guys bid was $1,800 for 70 yards of mulch plus treflan (Preen), instal, clean up, getting there etc...well mine was more than that for sure because my mulch alone was almost that....just wondering by some of you others guys if you think that is right or is this guy going to be making any money or what...just blows my mind...$1,800 for all of that...maybe im just way to high but you have to be able to make money..

2. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

cant say about your area, around here mulch runs between 27 to 33 a yard. at 27 a yard thats more than the other guy bid, its hard to say, whats mulch cost in your area?

3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

for me, 70 yards comes up to $1806, thats MY cost and tax included.

4. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

ugh... I PAY $1,900.00 just for the material. Brown Dyed mulch.

I would have to say something is wrong with his figure.

5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Out of curiosity did you both have the same amount of mulch for this job? Maybe your bid was 70 yds and he was biding way less and was going to try and stretch it.

6. Collegepro

Collegepro LawnSite Senior Member

Yea see the owner said to bid it at 70 yards...and I was getting mine for 28 dollars a yard delivered, another town about 30 miles away was offering 25 a yard but I had to get it, so it was easier to go with the 28 in my town, my town is small by all mean, So I was getting it a 28, so 28 and 70 is $1,960...and then I was adding 10% and my labor for install, clean-up, etc...so something is jacked up...he told me later that well maybe he is just charging 1800 for the mulch but his whole bid said 1800...so who knows..

7. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

the mulch alone would cost more than that guys bid here

8. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

that is BS if you don't get a minimum of $60 a yard your loosing money IMO. I only do jobs at $90 a yard installed

9. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

We charge $80 a yard. Hes probably getting the stuff for free @ the county dump. Free termites too!

10. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge $80 per yard up to 25 yds. Then $75 per yard up to 50 yards. Anything above that is $70 per yard. Mulch cost is $20 per yard. So....for $1800.00 he'd get 22.5 yards installed from me.