Can you believe this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Travis Followell, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I was looking around on craftsmans website and I read that they use Craftsman lawn and garden equipment to maintain Wrigley field where the Cubs play. I can't believe that equipment will hold up to that kind of use.

2. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

At first impression of hearing that i would SERIOUSLY doubt that it is true that ALL of theequipment they use is craftsman equipment. With all of the things that done on professional fields such as seeding, aerating3 to 3 to 4 times per year, daily mowing (professional fields use reel mowers not rotary) , top dressing firelds fert programs etc etc i would doubt that its true. NOW they MIGHT have a graftsman blower or trimmer or something there so they can SAY that but with the budgets these professional fields have for the year i doubt its true.

3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Craftsman probably pays the Cubs to use their equipment, then supplies the equipment free of charge. It's just another advertising method.

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

The baltimore Orials base ball team uses toro lawn tractors to groom the dirt. They claim to cut the grass with it. But they have a whole bunch of toro reel mowers and bunker rakes when the fans aren't there.

5. Travis Followell

from KY

Here is the exact quote from Craftsmans website:

To get the friendly confines of Wrigley field ready for game time, the Cubs rely on Craftsman quality lawn and garden equipment. A baseball season can be long and demanding not only to the players but to the ground crew. Thats why the Cubs' groundskeepers use durable, dependable Craftsman tractors to keep historic Wrigley field in top playing condition.

6. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe they purchase new units every couple of weeks. The Craftsman ZTR MIGHT be able to handle it if they are able to replace them frequently enough.

7. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

They could have built a heavy duty model for them.

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe they keep getting replacement units every other week to keep the advertising campaign alive..lol...there's probably a surplus of used crapsmans in Chicago...lol. I seriously doubt they cut with any of them, prolly use the garden tractors to drag the infield and carry stuff around in utility carts behind them.

PS-What were you doing at the Craftsman site? LOL.. :p

9. pcguy

pcguy LawnSite Member

Its quite possible they do use the "Craftsman" equipment for their field. Since all of the equipment manufacturing is subbed out (I know Jonsered made lawn tractors for them, Poulan blowers, etc), they may have equipment from the maker of Craftsman w/o the name. It's hard to tell who all makes the equipment marketed under that brand, so there could well be a company making commercial /turf type equipment.

10. Travis Followell

from KY

I was looking at Craftsman tools.

You guys are probibly right, they probibly get replacement units pretty often and i'm sure that they don't use all Craftsman equipment.