1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can you belive this "new" lawn customer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, May 11, 2006.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

calls for a free quote, i go out, ok, its $35 per cut bi-weekly, which he agrees to, asks about "finishing" block work around a tree in front for him, i tell him $120, dont really want to do it just figure next time im out there it would take me an hour leveling everything out and finishing, he will supply the last blocks.

I make an appointment for a tuesday with him, monday he calls and leaves a message, he cant get more home depot block.

Then he wants a quote for his deck pressure washed, i say $85, he declines.

He then cant find this block anywhere, i can find it easily lol, he asks, how much to remove the stone base at the tree and mulch it in with red mulch? I call him back $50, he says how about $30 cash? im like wtf, no i cant do it that cheap, he said i have this other guy who will do it for $30, so i said well why are you asking me to come do it then?

trip to home depot for 4 bags @$4 per bag $16, labor for picking up mulch special trim for color??? and then labor? $34? still its low but id like to keep customers happy and use me for more than just lawn cuts. jackass

Then he asks for thatching price and seeding, i tell him thatching is $135 and seeding is $110, my dumbass doesnt write down the thatch price so next week he said he will do the seeding b/c its easy and he will pay me to do the thatching, $115, i said no i think it was more than that, he says no i wrote it down here you had said $115, then i cant find the paper from that quote, :confused:

So $115 it is, finally sends me a check.

Now im cutting his lawn bi-weekly yet he hasnt signed a contract yet and sent it back, he calls afterwards, keep in mind its a yard 60ft wide by 100ft deep probably. Uh, well i wanted to ask about your blades, it seems your lifting them up or the lawn isnt the same level or height all over, 3 days later. It seems like when you cut it its not in strait lines, more like zigzags all over the place, literally his FRONT yard is only 25ft from road to house and 40~ wide lol, how many times can you go back and forth with a 61" mower deck? christ, im dropping this guy, pay the $35 bill for one lawn cut and call someone else. Ive called him back responding to his messages several times and then he doesnt call back. I even drove back later to "touch up" a spot i missed trimming, barely noticeable but wanted to make sure the job was done right.
  2. aDreamSoReal

aDreamSoReal LawnSite Member

Unreal! I agree with you. Tell him to pound sand.
  3. Drop the PITA or you'll just be mad at yourself for not doing it sooner.

I've a question about this bi-weekly schedule. Does it mean twice per week or every second week? I've heard somewhere it could mean either one.
    How true is that?

4. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Give his addy to Bobby. Bobby will straighten him out and make a model client of him.
  5. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

lol i know.

The bi weekly is twice monthly or every OTHER week, lol ive only had a couple people ask if that was twice weekly i think most people know it means every other week, i charge more right off the bat for every other week cuts, usually keeps people with weekly cuts or they just pay more for me to cut more.
  6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

he asked for bi weekly cuts.... cheapskate...
  7. rklawnmowing

rklawnmowing LawnSite Member

he sounds like a pita, but since im not a big company i would have kept him and explained to him that" your yard is not lever my mower cuts fine. i wish i was in ur area, im in need of some lawns, and this one sounds like the job for me with my 48" scag tiger cub.