Can You De-Rate a Trailer in NY to Avoid CDL?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

You can derate a trailer but not with the registration. It has to be done on the title, and then a new VIN plate.

Operating out of class is the same as operating without a license which will get you thrown in jail.

2. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I don't get it.

Why did you need a class A if your trailer is rated at 10k GVWR?

3. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

im guessing there is more to that story that we will never hear.

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Ah, Yes! That sounds like eough of a PITA to be true! NY:dizzy:

I do want to get a CDL but I need a helper to be able to drive my junk.

5. mow4cash

mow4cash LawnSite Member

Thats good to know. So if the trailer manf. downgrades it is ok? Or is it that it was built out of state?

6. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

That is wrong, at least in NY. There is only unladen weight on any NY title that I have ever seen. GVWR is stated by the registrant at the time of registration.

(I was referring to post #11)

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Hes right. I took a look at the title. No one carries their title with them anyway but something tells me that you do have to get that new Manufacture plate or origin sticker for some reason. Then the question would be weather or not the particular trailer manufacturer would be willing to do it or not.

8. ParkWelding

Maybe there is something to do other than stating max gvw when registering, i still don't believe it though. I would believe it if someone could prove it. As far as my business is concerned, it has been proven to me second hand thru inspection by the most picky DOT officer that patrols areas where I do business, that registering a trailer for the lower max gvwr that you will use, even though the trailer was rated higher by the manufacturer, is correct.

Example:
    Another business owner, whom I have a professional relationship with, had to pass thru a weigh station and inspection on a NYS highway. Was fine. Immediately after was stopped by local DOT officer who wanted to scale his rig. Was fine. No one that drives the truck/trailer for his company has CDL.

The rig-Crew cab F350 dually and gooseneck deckover flatbed equipment trailer with tandem duals. Trailer was plated by manufacturer at somewhere in the 19K-21K range. Trailer was simply registered for the appropriate gvwr# to, in combination with said F350, add up to 26k.

With the truck and that size trailer with the equipment and tanks that are mounted on it, it screams "pull me over and check me out". It is Legal.

If those inspections resulted in the conclusion that the registered gvw is what's important, than that's what I'll go with.

I would have liked to purchase a new trailer to the exact specs that I need for my use, but it isn't/wasn't in the budget. I'll roll with my sweet de-rated 1982 Eager Beaver until further notice.

9. ParkWelding

4 seasons- The Cam trailer you have, does that have 7000# or 8000# axles? What do you haul on it?

I was looking at the low deck equipment trailers they make that have 8000# axles, but they got too far out of my price range and my excavator would fit tween the fenders with only 1/2" to 3/4" clearance on either side.

10. wellbuilt

wellbuilt LawnSite Senior Member

When i bought the trailer the trailer was a 10,000/ 12000lb trailer .
    Since i was pulling with a f 350 I was under CDL .
    I moved up to a cab over dump and went over CDL buy 2000lbs so since my trailer was listed as a 10/ 12000lb trailer i down graded it at motor vehicle to 10000lbs .
    I never saw the wt rating on my certificate of origin sticker witch was 12000lbs in very small numbers with the vin # .

Some trailer manufacturer will down grade the trailer for you .
    The trailer manufacturer that helped me out was ringo out of PA.
    good trailer good people .
    I went for my cdl after the trailer was down graded because i have 2 dump trailers that are 12000lbs that i could not get the wt changed .
    In the last 2 years i bought a heavier truck to larger tag trailers 16000 /
    22000 12000lb EX and a new to me dozer .
    There is only one way to go , Up John