Can You De-Rate a Trailer in NY to Avoid CDL?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

How do you "state" the GVWR?

GVWR is what is on the ID tag on the trailer.

2. wellbuilt

wellbuilt LawnSite Senior Member

If your truck is registered to a business and has signed ( Commercial vehicle ) and is pulled over you will be jailed and impounded ( no question )

If I load up my sail boat 17000lbs and head off with the wife and kids for some boating no one even looks at me . (Pleasure use)

If you are towing with a none commercial truck you could get away with it once or twice maybe .
    The fine on my ticket was $5000 You don't want to go there .
    It just is not legal Get the guys there CDL
    John

3. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

You say it's not legal. Tell me why its not legal. Please tell me how a combined truck/trailer combination at or under 26K, is not legal.

4. Duffster

from Midwest

Not legal without a class A?

Here.

22k + 9k = 31k GCWR.

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

My trailer is the 7 ton model with 7000 lb axles so I guess that leaves a 2000 lb hitch weight. There is one larger model than my trailer before you go to tri's or dual's.

6. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

The original topic was de-rating trailers in NY. Why don't you quote the whole sentence, if you're going to quote at all??

7. wellbuilt

wellbuilt LawnSite Senior Member

A 26000lb combo is legal , But if you have a trailer with no certificate of orange sticker with your vin #s on it from the manufacture .
    The dot officer just adds up the pay load of your tires checks your axle weight ( Its marked most of the time ) and looks at your hitch its a no brain-er . They will lock you up and impound your rig.
    Your registered WT can be down graded to hall less and pay less road tax , but as far as a cdl gos you better get one .

8. Duffster

from Midwest

Because you asked how you would not be legal. For purposes of DL GVWR is really all that matters.

9. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Dave you will get nailed derating your trailer. May take a while, might not.
    If you plan on gettin your cdl, why take a chanch?? Get the CDL and dont worry about it. The one thing we have going for us around here is we dont see too many DOT guys around here. But with the state needing $$ thats gonna change.....

10. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

And they would still get him for being illegal. Legal GCWR for that truck is way lower. 22K or 24K. That trailer would use up most or all of its GCWR.