can you distinguish lawn tractor, garden tractor, riding tractor, zero turn?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dcpark, Oct 2, 2007.

1. dcpark

dcpark LawnSite Member
    from LA

can you distinguish lawn tractor, garden tractor, riding tractor, zero turn?

explain please...

thank you for your answering.
  2. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

do a search my man.......
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Lawn tractor: your basic riding mower, smaller machine with a steering wheel and that mows only.

Garden tractor: a beefed up version of the lawn tractor, usually has larger wheels/tires, more gears/better hydros, and can mow plus can operate other equipment like small blades, tillers, etc.

A riding tractor is the same thing...

A zero turn machine is a mower that dosn't use a convential transaxle to power the drive wheels, it uses 2 hydraulic pumps and motors to drive the wheels which can be driven totally independent of one another.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry but there are no such things, that's just grossly generalizing and miss-interpreting.

A lawn tractor is what's most likely called a riding lawn mower.
    Because I could take a compact and stick a brush cutter blade on it and ride it on the lawn, but does that make it a lawn tractor?
    As broadly as this term suggests, any tractor plops itself on the turf is now a lawn tractor, so I don't use this generalization.

garden tractor ... Maybe you're referring to a compact tractor?
    although I suppose these could be used on the lawn...
    Yes I think they do make cutting decks for compacts, but it's an attachment, few come with these where it's not an option.
    And it's either a riding lawn mower, or it's a compact, there might be a few hybrids but...

riding tractor ... what is this, don't they all ride?
    except maybe the dingo, but even thou there are exceptions, when referring to machines in general I stick to the rules.

zero turn Rider = a machine capable of turning via independent power to the wheels vs. steering

There you have it: Riding lawn mower, compact tractor, Zero turn rider.
    It's either one of those 3 or it doesn't belong, there are no other machines besides these, no matter what people call them.