can you do a grub treatment now?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by birddseedd, Nov 22, 2013.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

Can you still do a grub treatment. It has snowed a couple times and is getting to the 20s at night.

Out do I need to wait till the spring
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

Not advisable now in MI. What product are you thinking of using?

3. birddseedd

GrubEx is the only one i know of off hand.

i figure grubs might hibernate or something. feeding them now would be pointless if so. maybe. i dunno.

4. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

Do not confuse Grub-ex's advertising of "season long control" with the idea that it is OK to apply anytime throughout the season. In reality, you have a 4 or 5 week window to use Grub-Ex here, beginning around July 1. You have from now until about May 1 to learn as much as you can about the life cycle of grubs and which chemicals are appropriate at various stages.

5. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Dylox if you have them on the surface. I don't think they are feeding in your area this time of year.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Fore and West are right. Attend a turf conference and listen carefully when they talk about grub control.
    The fast acting products are your only choice now--not always fully effective. Grubs are big and tough and still feeding at this date. Worse yet--they are attracting lots of skunks. I suspect that is the real problem. Call Critter Control to get rid of the skunks. Cost around $75 each.
    Or trap them yourself...but...

7. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm assuming you are not licensed for pesticides. Here's a link specific to homeowner grub control products & when to use in MI.http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/understanding_lawn_grub_control_products

8. birddseedd

This is the first year that i am doing any real amount of applying. now that i have a need for it ill be looking into licensing in the spring.

atm i do not even know what is involved.

9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Might not want to wait until spring to do this. Better to do it in the winter when you are less busy. Also you may need to apply products in the spring and you will be need to be licensed and ready to go. Learn all you can over the winter.