1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can you even believe this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tom-N-Texas, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

My name is Tom. I own a medium sized lawn service in the fort worth area.

I took my toro 21" proline mower into the shop the other day to have a new drive belt put on. I have a very good and long-standing relationship with the shop owner. He always gets my stuff out within 2 or 3 days because of my loyalty over the years.

In the past whenever I bring a mower in for repair he will occasionally change the blade or other small thing in addition to what I asked him to do. I've always let this slide and trust in his judgement. But this time....THIS really freaking takes the cake:

Not only did he change my belt...but he took it upon himself to put on brand new wheels and change out all the hardware on each wheel! My stupid bill was near nearly $280!!!!!!

What really sucks is I've got like 7 of these mowers that I could have taken wheels off of if I really needed them.

Needless to say I will not be gong back to him for a long time. Anyone else have something like this happen?
  2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Nope, I would have said something.
  3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW, and I thought we had the market cornered on Lame dealer's in the Houston area....
  4. took Echo 310 in for short running time.

$135 later

buy new for $399
  5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

The ol "jack up the bill" trick. You arent obligated to pay for the wheels if you never gave the ok for them. I would have never paid $280 for a mower that needed a new belt. Take the wheels & hardware back & tell them you dont need them because you have other wheels you can use.
  6. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, I would have said something after the first time....
  7. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Can you tell us who it was
  8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I work in a small engine shop. When a customer brings in a mower to lets say have the blade sharpen and we see the air filter is trashed we will change it as well . Now what you are talking about is a joke and not a funny one at that. You should have said something. If we see something that needs worked on or replaced that is not on the ticket and is going to be more than a few dollars we call the customer first. That is what the telephone is for. I hate to say it being a small engine service technician my self but you got taken. It may do no good but I would still say something about it.
  9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to communicate to him your thoughts. Just not going back isn't the answer. Kinda stupid actually.
  10. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

I had a reply typed up that was about three times as much as what "fixer" had, and it was pretty much saying the same thing..

I hit "preview" and then hit the stinking "back" button on the browser, and of course, my long reply was now gone.

But anyway.. what "fixer" said. If it's a minimal cost part and really needs to be replaced for the engine or unit to run correctly, we will replace it and hold onto it to show the customer their old part and explain why it needed to be replaced. If it is an item like drive wheels, (which can run from $12.95 - $30 depending on the manuf. and model) we will call the customer and question them on replacement... usually, somewhere in the call are the words "it'll pull itself a little with the wheels worn out like this, but you'll be putting out more effort to help push it than if it were to have new wheels and pulled itself without you having to help push it".

Normally, when they average that the mower cost them around $300 in the first place, $24-$50 for new wheels to keep it a true self propelled instead of a "kinda moves on it's own when you help it" mower, doesn't seem that high to them.