Can you feel it yet?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenbaylawns, Apr 3, 2008.

1. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

So how are all us little or solo lawn company's doing so far? I don't think it's going to be a bad this year... I think we get our selves all worked up over the winter thinking were not going to be in business again and then WHAM!!! Solo till 3 pm then my wife gets off work and helps, kids have to be picked up by 6. 43 weekly, 14 bi weekly / For now 30 split between 5 & 6 step Fertilizing accts. (or approx. 265,000 sq ft in fert terms)

2. THRIFTY

THRIFTY LawnSite Member
    from (913)

I refuse to participate in a recession. I am just working that much harder this year to make sure I am where I need to be!

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well, it took some doing, details aside and pull a few rabbits out of a hat and now I am feeling a little better, too.

Not so sure about peachy keenness yet, and how things will stand at the end of the year, but the next month or two feel all right.
    Still a bit shaky, but the demons are at rest for now and I don't feel the insanity wanting to take over just yet, either.

4. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

Good Answer! Now give me rebate check so i can buy a new trailer

5. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

Off to a great start, been so busy I can only glance @ ls every couple of days
    Well looks like I'm not solo anymore been having to helpers for the past two and half weeks They both got 47 hours week one and on week two (last week) they got 45 hours and they both have 44 hours so far up to today thursday. If it don't rain tomm they probal both end up with about 53 hours this week. I've got worked scheduled out for the next three weeks aside from my mowing accounts.:weightlifter::cool2::weightlifter:

6. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

Added a total of close to 30 acres of new mowing 65 acres in new fertilization accounts. Stayed busy the entire month of March with landscaping jobs and spring cleanups(which is a first for us) Got called today to bid on a new Property Maintenance company that moved into town to take care of three seperate 1 - 2 acre properties that they took over.

Recession holy cow we have never been so busy in the four years that I have been doing this and we ain't going to slow down. I can get use to this.

Matt:usflag:

7. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

So far it's been slow this spring. I'm trying not to get discouraged. I have an add running for 6 weeks so I'm hoping that will help me. And I'm in the process of ordering 2500 door hangers. Don't know what to try after that. Maybe the phone book. I'm glad to hear some of you new guys are finally having some success. Hopefully that will be me soon (like within the next 2 weeks! lol). Good luck.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not THEM kind of rabbits! :laugh:

Seriously thou, all in all, net and raw and gross plus discounts and what have you...
    This little lesson cost just slightly over $10,000...
    That's just between myself and the most direct things I can see, there might be other side effects and all of that.

It is funny, how first that's just about the money I shouldn't have made.
    And then I had to give it back :laugh:
    But a relief as well, that money really can and does fix things, so to speak.

Hopefully now, if I take it nice and easy and just kind of go slow, I can respect the whole thing a little better.

9. cutsit

cutsit LawnSite Member
    from MO

I would think there are alot of opportunities out there in servicing all the foreclosure properties.

The supply of lawns to be taken care of is going up since the new owners don't maintain lawns when the prior owners did.

I would think if you can get in with the property managers you could pick up some good income.

Might have to wait to get paid, but figure that in your bid.

10. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Amen there - what with the record rainfall in St. Louis this March. . .