Can you figure how much to bid by using a 21" ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BryPaulD, May 18, 2005.

1. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

Say you figure an estimate as though you are using a standard 21" mower, just like the days of old. How long it would take you to cut it and thats the price. Then you now have a bigger mower, of course gets job done faster = same money faster. OR say I bid a small lawn cut @ $40 and it takes me fourty five mins. to do it with a 21" and do you tell them $20 because it only takes you twenty mins. ? Does this make sence? just a thought

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

use what tool is right for the job, big property = big mower. charge accordingly.

3. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

What would be the point of having better equipment if you could "make" more money with a 21" mower?

4. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

No it should be the same if not you still wont make money . And that the point ? Just my 2 cents

5. Todd's lawncare

from P.A

And you wouldn't make more money with a 21 . Because it would take twice as long and if you could do 40 with a Z-trun and went with the 21 you could only do half so .............................. You wouldn't make more just the same but work more .

6. BryPaulD

from MI

that's what I was thinking (should be the same). I bring in a 48" mower but think of it as I would use a 21"

7. Todd's lawncare

from P.A

Do you already cut it or are you just asking for the heck of it ?

8. BryPaulD

from MI

pretty much just asking for the heck of it. Was just a thought. Thinking well this lawn will only take me 15 mins. to cut with a 48" should I charge only $15- $20, or think this would take me 45 mins. to do with a 21" so charge $40? Basically somethinking like $40 an hour with a 21" and $60 - $70 an hour with a "48. Does this sound right??

9. Todd's lawncare

from P.A

I don't do the hour thing for mowing because some times it can be done in 15 with all the guys working but when its just me you get the point ...... And i never did by the hour because i don't have one that take more then an hour so . But it sound about right if you do it that way .

10. BryPaulD

from MI

Neat thought. Just for estimates sake when someone wants to know how much it will cost.