Can you "Fire" Clients

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danslawncare, Oct 24, 2005.

1. danslawncare

danslawncare LawnSite Member

Every year I ask myself this same question. Will there be enough clientel next year for me? It always seems that competition is stronger, and costs are going up. As much as I want to get rid of some PITA's!, why would i fire a client, when i know that i need more clients next spring.:dizzy:

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

It's the end of the season almost, and if you stuck it out this long with a pita, you might as well keep them a little longer. No need to make a decision now. Wait until March to weigh your options, are you getting enough new calls and landing more clients? If so, then your decision is easy, kick the pita to the curb.
    But you also need to think of this... sometimes holding onto a pita is doing more harm than good, whether you have a replacement in line or not. Sometimes you can't afford to keep them around any longer.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a client who is not profitable, is not worth keeping. i eliminated about 10 or so, in the last 2 weeks. i will replace them easily. the growing stage is= take one step back, two steps foward, repeat process. i refuse to keep any client who is not profitable, or causes me grief.

4. danslawncare

I agree with both of you, and thank your for responding. But lets face it, our industry is full of lowballers. Some of them really do great work, and for pennies. I just want to make sure i'm in business next year. I spread flyers in the spring always. Should I cut them loose.

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

drop them like a fat chic when the buzz wears off. i just had this conversation with my wife, i told her i lost around 8-10 clients in the last week or so, she goes, " i know they are a bit unreasonable, but try not to burn too many bridges." i said, " listen to me einstien, a pita client is not a bridge at all, but a dead end."

6. danslawncare

bobby, you are always cutting people loose. Thats great for you, but not all of us have an endless supply of clients.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

my friend, a non profitable client is as good as looking up a dead horses azz

8. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on a couple of things as to what to do. Is the PITA a constant or just sometimes complainer ? Is the PITA a slow or good payer ?

PITA constant complainer and good payer --- hard decision.
    PITA constant complainer and slow payer --- easy decision.

PITA sometimes complainer & good payer --- hard decision
    PITA sometimes complainer & slow payer --- easy decision

Looks like to me the slow payers in both groups would be looking for another LCO.

Looks like to me the good payers are in two groups by themselves. The constant complainer has got to go. The sometimes complainer I'd keep on my list for the time being.

Nosmo

9. danslawncare

I realize that bobby, but still money is money. Can clients like this be replaced by better ones

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

in new jersey they can. i hear though the wine is not as sweet, in other areas of the country. for example i just lost roughly 8-10 clients, i'm not sweating it one bit, i know for a fact, that before the year is thru, i'll get 5-6 new ones, and about 25 new ones in spring of 2006