Can you fit 2 ZTR's on a 6x12 single axle trailer??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by palawnman, May 13, 2006.

1. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

I currently have a Exmark Lazer Hp 48" and am on the verge of buying another Exmark 60". I was just wondering if both would fit on my 6x12 trailer. I am thinking of hopefully sometime soon upgrading to a bigger truck that can pull it, but I didnt want to have to buy a new trailer too. My trailer is in good condition, so I didnt see a need to buy a bigger one, just yet. Anyone fitting 2 ZTR'S on a 6x12? I thought that it was just a little small, I looked at the sizes on the exmark website and the total was about 1' longer than the trailer, but then today I thought that I saw someone drive by w/a 6x12 w/2 ZTR'S on it, maybe I was just seeing things. If anyone can help me with this from their own experience, it would be much appreciated. Also someone did mention maybe putting the 48" sideways. I think that could be possible but I would have to really bang it around on the trailer to make it turn sideways. Thanks for the help.

Ron

2. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Please post pictures when you get both of these on that single axle trailers.

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Good luck!!!! I don't think you are going to get them to fit! If you can it's going to be more a pain then to just carry one. JMO

BTW, how much weight is your trailer rated for????

4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I am guessing not. This is a pic of our 60" Exmark and our 60" Super Z on a 14' trailer. They are locked together pretty tight to fit. I can't see 2 fitting in 12'.

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

We do it on our 6x12 trailer. We fit 2 60" ZTRs on the trailer. I love the little single axle trailer. Just back the truck up and pick up the trailer and put it on the ball. Sometimes bigger is not better.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not to mention, double axles put your rig over 10,000 pounds GVWR and in many states this requires a Class-C Commercial Driver's License. The actual weight doesn't even matter, it's the rating!
    Yes, I like my 6x12 single-axle a lot. It's rated at 3 thousand pounds but with heavy-duty radials I can load 4 thousand pounds but it does push it, and the frame is slightly bent from me doing it. They are awesome.

7. palawnman

from PA

I am not positive off the top of my head but I think that it is 3000 lbs. I know that the trailer itself can handle the weight b/c I had a Kubota with the bucket attachment on it before and I think the total weight of that was closer to 4000 lbs.

Ron

8. palawnman

from PA

Do you have to turn one of them sideways to fit? Or do you just put them on normally (forward) and it still fits? Any help would be appreciated. My next step is probably just to take my mower and trailer to the place I am buying the ZTR, just to try it out.

Ron

9. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

put a side ramp on the front of the trailer and you'll be all set.

10. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go with a shorty double axle...
    If you have a small truck, a single axle trailer loaded with 2 Z's, and you loose a tire on that trailer your whole rig might end up in the ditch.
    The tandem axles allow you to loose a tire while the other tire on that side helps it track straight.
    They also pull better and take bumps much better.