Can you get banned form Lawnsite?

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by Jpocket, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I read the thread about wheres Fareway, and it was locked. This got me thinking, can you be banned from this site. Maybe Shawn or one of the moderators can answer my question. I thought Fareway was entertaning myself, a "bobby Gedd in his own right"

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, you can get banned, and so far as "I" have seen if you get banned it probably needed doing in order to preserve the quality of the site.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yes you can get banned, which is no different than any other online forum. Tolerance is a good trait to have when moderating a forum. However, sometimes a member only wants to be a troublemaker, and after repeated warnings, it can be decided that the member is no longer good for the forum.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Like swany or whatever the name was!!!lol

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

So Major Tom what do you guys do like block there computer from the site, I mean what stops them from getting a different user name and profile

6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

That takes some good detective work on the part of the Mods./admins. They have to log your IP and check to make sure it is not used in future sign ups. Most the time you cannot ban/block an IP because it would affect too many other members.

Then you have proxy servers which is another headache when checking IP's. There is one thing you can always believe when it comes to computers and the internet.

If someone tells you something cannot be done they are totally wrong. If is user wanted to keep coming here even after being banned and he knew enough about what he was doing there is nothing that could be done to stop him.

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Avery is correct in saying that if someone wants to come back they can. If they don't post, I leave them alone. Once a new member posts, I log their ip to see if they are in disguise.
    Proxy addys are a whole different story, still easy to spot, but a proxy addy will send up a flag to me, and I'll keep an eye out on them to see if they are going to start trouble.

Bottom line, most troublemakers want to be recognized for they are/were, so having to take on a new name just kills all of their fun.

8. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe a bad comparison here, but if you have noticed throughout history, most serial killers want to be caught - they want everyone to know it was them - they can only remain anonymous for so long...it's half of the enjoyment for them....no different with banned members of this and any of the other many forums I have been to....they may use a different email address or a proxy server and a different user name, but eventually they slip up and make it crystal clear that it's them...Jodi is like Magnum PI, Cold Case, CSI, and any other famous detective throughout history all rolled into one - she always gets them in the end...

9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Columbo.. how could you not mention Columbo?

10. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know of a few that were banned in the past and have new user ids here.

You can always get around to getting back on a site but like Sean/Jodi has said some will get caught but others just lay low and be good boys with their new user ids. :D