can you guess how many lamps

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by High Performance Lighting, Mar 11, 2007.

1. High Performance Lighting

High Performance Lighting LawnSite Senior Member
    from So Cal

what type, wattage and beamspread to light this approximately 70' high by
    50' wide Oak tree

oak.jpg

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

in the title you as for how many lamps... in the post you ask type wattages and beam spreads...
    I got a good idea but a bit worried at sounding stupid. looks a bit hot to me in the photo.

3. seolatlanta

seolatlanta LawnSite Member

Ok, I'll give it a shot-

I am going to say 5 total with a mixture of 35-50 watt lamps.

4. High Performance Lighting

from So Cal

The original photo I posted looks good on my desktop However when i view it from my laptop on this website it does look hot. Here is the same photo with a bit shorter exposure time.

oak.jpg

5. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

As Billy states it looks pretty hot, and I'm not saying that this scenario is detrimental in design. Don't misconstrue this statement in any form as negative. From the 4 foot fence to the left, the tree looks to me to to be maybe 25 wide by 40 high. If all the fixtures are 12 volt and mounted on or in the ground, 3 narrow beam 50 watt lamps, maybe 4. If the photo was over exposed and not true light levels, as all of the smaller trees look pretty hot also, the lamps are probably 35 watt. Don't be afraid to chime in and make a mistake people, he has been at this a lot longer than we have. Most of us still have a lot to learn.

SamIV
    Accent Outdoor Lighting

6. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

My guess is 4 50 watt fixtures.

7. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

two 50 watt one in front and one back

8. High Performance Lighting

from So Cal

The photo was taken the other night along with the other two I posted in another thread of the 6 yr old project. There are no leaves on the tree right now.
    The wrought iron fence is 6 feet high. the backyard is on a downslope and the picture was taken from the pool deck which is about 12-15 feet higher than where the trunk of the tree meets the ground. Perhaps it does not look like it in the photos but it is a gigantic probably 100 plus yr old oak and my guesstimation of it's size in my original post is pretty close. So far no one has come close to the correct answer. This is just for fun of course. I'm talking about the lights on the Oak only, not the surrounding plant material.

9. High Performance Lighting

from So Cal

this client has a great set of Juggs

Juggs.jpg

10. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

1 50w w/ a 60 degree spread?

chris