Can you guys help a newbie out?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by North Ga, Apr 4, 2006.

1. North Ga

North Ga LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Whats up.Been checking out the site and can tell you guys know what you are doing.Ive always wanted to build a flagstone patio for my house.I just want to do something real small because I have no experience with this type of work.Like I said earlier this is just for me not selling my work.I really see myself hopefully doing a part time job or 2 in the future once I get a full grasp of what im doing.Ive been doing some reading on here so hopefully I have this right.

Ok the patio I want is 12 x 12.The ground is pretty level where I want the patio @.Do I clear(excavate) the 12 x 12 area 4 inches deep,right?

Once Im 4 inches deep I put down 3 inches of stone(crush N Run) and 1 Inch of Sand,Right?I do make the middle of the patio 1 inch higher for drainage right?Is there anything else I need to do like some type of edge?Is there a specific sand I need to use?

Ok Im ready for laying the flagstone,Right?Is there a technique to laying the Flagstones?Do I bury the flagstone in the sand or just place it on top and later fill in the cracks with more sand?

Is there anything im leaving out?

Thanks in advance

2. North Ga

North Ga LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum :rolleyes: