Can you guys help me decide?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cochino12, Dec 9, 2005.

1. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok here is my situation. I was solo this summer and had around 50-60 accts throughout the year, most of which are 1/4 acre but I do have a couple commercial accounts that are a little bigger and a few 1/2-3/4 acre lots as well. This coming summer I will be hiring an employee and servicing around 120-130 accts as well as a larger commercial account.

My main mower until now has been a 32" belt drive exmark which I will be keeping for the majority of my gated backyards. I really want to buy a 36" stander but I am not sure if it will cover enough ground compared to buying a couple of larger walk behinds. I dont think buying a large WB to make a handful of accounts easier makes sense either. Most all yards I will take in the coming years (I think, but who knows right?) will be 1/4-1/2 acre.

My budget is around $5k on a mower(s), does it make sense to buy a quick 36 and maybe a used larger wb? I would rather stay with new equipment as I dont have a lot of experience working on these things yet. Anyway I hope I gave enough info and thanks for any advice.

Adam
    Beyond The Green

2. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Do you already have 120 - 130 accounts, or are you hoping to add this many. If you are keeping the 32" walk behind, I would suggest going with a 48" stander to cover more area.

3. cochino12

Not quite there yet with the accounts but getting close.

4. chimmygew

I say go with the 48", I only run ZTR's, but I read a lot of posts on here where some of the members have a small WB like your 32" and the bigger 48" and it seems like they do quite well with time and money. Something to consider. You might also consider a small 48" ZTR mower if the price is comparable.

5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

get a 52" Wright Stander. you will double your productivity from the 32" wb.

6. cochino12

isnt a 48" or 52" too big for a small 1/4 front yard?

7. chimmygew

I don't think it would be. I never have any complaints using my 61" Scag on small properties like that. Remember, faster means more per hour. I say the earlier post of 52" is also a good idea.

8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

we use 52" Standers on trailer park lawns and 1/4 to 1/8 acre lawns. that's all we run besides a 60" exmark XS for the bigger areas. there are probably 5 lawns out of about 300 that we have to use a 21" mower on because we can't get to areas or there are small hills that the stander can't cut. the 52" Stander can go just about anywhere. i would highly recommend getting a demo.

9. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

what brands do your local dealers sell & service?

What are the lot configurations? lots of obstacles? flat out but small? lots of factors here that would aid in the deciscion process.

I would look at a 48/52" ZTR if they're flatout but small, if there is lots of tight areas, or trees to trim along i would look at a 44/48" WB. you already have a small mower, you might as well get a larger one to take advantage of your time on the larger accounts.

get a hydro, they're more up front, but the productivity is much better in tight areas.

10. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

i have 2 60" turf tracers and a 36" metro for about 80 redsidental yards and a hand full of medium commercial (2 emloyees)
    I love the 60's but kinda wish i had a 48.
    Like a few others said a 52 would be a great mower to get.
    Make sure its a hydro though.
    A friend of mine had some standers in his business but he got rid of them after one year. I have no expirence with them, he said they were a little sketchy on the steep hills.