Can you guys help me ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Esby, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Alright, I just got a call from a prospevtive customer. She said that she wants me to do her lawn (approx 6 acres) this spring due to problems with her Lawn Company that she hired last year. Here is what she didn't like about them.....she complained that they mowed areas that she didn't think that needed mowing. She said that she wanted it only mowed when she called, so like 2-3 days after she calls, the other company didn't want to do that. Well here is what i am asking, Is it worth it to take this, or is it going to only cause my problems?? I mean with out a deffinate schedule of when to mow it? What do you guys charge per acre of mowing? Should I take it?
  2. turfcat75

turfcat75 LawnSite Member

If your really hard up take it,if not that's gonna screw up your route,i had customers like that last year..its not worth it!
  3. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Only you can anwser that.How bad do you need the work? Sounds like a bad customer. I wouldn't want it.To each their own. If you take it I would make some set schedule.Being on call like that you can better she will call when you are knee deep with other stuff!!
  4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I gotta agree. If you don't have much of a schedule and are desperate for customers, go ahead and take it. You can always ditch her later if it becomes a problem. But if you think you're going to have plenty of business without her, I'd steer clear.

Our company wouldn't touch that account. But we can afford to be fairly selective.
  5. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

If you take on this BOSS, explain to her that you may not be able to give her a long term commitment. When it comes time to drop her, try to give her a bit of notice. No need to start her trashing your name because you ran out on her.

You may be able to straighten her out down the road. If not, you should consider dropping her.
  6. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

To be on call like that make sure she is paying you well.
  7. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

To take this it would have to be for at least $80-100 per acre every 2 1/2 weeks. Mainly because she is a pain and she only wants it done when she calls. If she calls 1 month after a cut then even higher. She would have to agree to all terms and put money down for a deposit. As you can see I really wouldn't want this job unless she is willing to pay for it..
  8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yessiree, I'd take that job in a minute. Then I'd go home and sit by the phone hoping that she'd call me. LOL
  9. GREG R

GREG R LawnSite Member

Depends on that she is paying.
    It might not be as bad as you think.
    Like the suggestion above try it but
    leave yourself and "out", tell her you
    will get her through the spring and then
    you will have to have another discussion with
    her about the situation at hand. You might "click"
    with this lady and the other company couldn't.
    All business are different in alot of ways.
  10. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I think most times you want to establish a "win/win" meaning you and the customer benefit from the relationship. It sounds to me that this could be more of a lose(you)/win(her). It may lead to some serious resentment down the road.

It may also lead to some serious wear and tear on your equipment and your health!

At the same time...It is a job and maybe you have the personal skills to make it work. It would be nice if there was easy answers but I guess that is part of the trick to being a business. Some guys have mission statements that outline what their business does, and what it's purpose is. Then when they get a situation like this it is a matter of seeing whether or not it matches with your mission statement.