Can you help identify this grass/weed?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by cTak, Aug 4, 2011.

1. cTak

cTak LawnSite Member

Here is a high resolution picture I took of one of the weeds I yanked out this morning, after we cut the lawn yesterday.

I can't tell for sure if it is, or isn't crab grass. I don't think it is, but I don't know what is is?!
  2. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

My vote's crabgrass. I'm pretty sure the leaves are keeled on goose grass (near the base). I could be wrong.
  3. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

looking at most recent pic, that's not what i been trying to id. barn grass (?) comes to mind with that recent pic.
  4. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

The purplish stems is a signal for Digitaria sanguinalis!! Enough said!
  5. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

think the grass i been trying ti id is orchid grass, cust tells me 2 days after i cut it 2 inches higher than the rest of the grass.
  6. cTak

cTak LawnSite Member

Going to try some Quinclorac on it at my house and see how that does. Should take care of the grassy weeds
  7. RayFromOntario

RayFromOntario LawnSite Member

I have the exact same grass (weed) in my back yard, and it seems to be spreading. It grows twice as fast as Kentucky blue grass, and I've tried everything to kill the weed, and nothing works. Herbicides are banned here now, so don't know of any organic solution. Does this mean I'll have to manually pull this stuff out ?:canadaflag: