1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can you help me pick a paver? Fendt, Unilock, Oaks (Lafarge)

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dominogold, Mar 9, 2005.

1. dominogold

dominogold LawnSite Member

My landscaper is building a patio and walkway with lots of curves and two big circles for a patio with a boulder retaining wall. He said I can pick anything from the Unilock Classico, Oaks (formerly Lafarge) Romanesque, or Fendt Vintage series of pavers.

He also said for steps I can choose between grindstone boulder steps and Unilock's Sienna Stone steps. Any other type of step would be more $$$.

Which paver is best from the above? Can someone help me out here?

Also have you found it looks better to try and match the house brick color or contrast it a little? We have a dark red "Shrewsbury" color brick.

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I would personally go with a stone without large gaps in it, the classico line has many smaller sized stones and can be laid in intricate patterns, if you like this design the possibilities are endless. I would go with a tighter fitting stone.

I would look at a mixture of red and black, or red and gray stone.

Just a note, if you decide to go with the classico, make sure your installer uses a polymeric (stabilizer) sand.
  3. old dog

old dog LawnSite Member

E P Henry has some bullnose pavers that really look sharp on steps-and thay can be arc
    in shape.Cannot tell you about price-gotta check in your area
  4. dominogold

Polymeric is not an option as our local paver supplier isn't really sold on the idea of polymeric sand yet.

I'm limited to these 3 options listed above... is there any difference between these three series?
  5. dominogold

I think I'm leaning towards the Oaks (lafarge) Romanesque for 2 reasons.

1. Seems to have the least 'wasted' space so there won't be large gaps.
    2. Has a little more arch to the paver rather than mostly flat...