Can you help me with lawn reno bid?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DBM, Apr 10, 2001.

1. DBM

DBM LawnSite Member

A customer has asked me to remove moss from his lawn as he's selling his home next year. His actual turf footage is 70,000 square feet. It's my first year and I've had success bidding smaller lawns at $38.00 per 1000 square feet which includes spraying with moss killer, power raking, and disposal.

How would you bid the following:

1)Spraying and power raking
    2)Slice seeding
    3)Starter fert. application

There are a few hitches. There is no way to irrigate after seeding, there is a mild slope to the property so pushing a power rake and slice seeder is going to be very hard on the body, with the amount of moss present I figure there will be 14 cubic yards of moss and thatch to dispose of.

What do you think?

I've told the potential customer already that power raking his lawn will make his lawn look horrible until the new grass grows in. I had forgotten about the irrigation problem after seeding though, but I'll bring it to his attention when I give him the proposal.

Any help is appreciated.

Doug

2. 1145JohnDeere

1145JohnDeere LawnSite Member
    from KY

What environmental factors are creating the moss? Shade? Poor drainage? Poor soil? I had a job like this once where I used my compact tractor with a spring tooth rock rake to rake up the moss. There was no grass to speak of, and the moss came up like big swatches of carpet. We added topsoil, powerseeded and blew straw over the finished product. It looked good for a few years but eventually the shade and owner neglect put an end to it. So its best to improve the chances of survival of your finished product by considering these factors.

3. DBM

DBM LawnSite Member

Unfortunately it appears the customer wants to improve things for the short term because he's selling his home next spring. He'll go for a couple of fertilizer applications to thicken up the turf but isn't interested in aerating, or liming.
    He had stated that if decides not to sell, he won't bother with having the work done.
    By the way, it's open property with no shade, soil drainage is decent.
    He hasn't done anything with his lawn in 5 plus years and out here on the west coast neglect=moss.

Can anyone give me an example of what your pricing on this would be?

Doug

4. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

If the lawn looks so do you... DROP HIM