1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can you help with stand-alone pump issue?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by HashBrown007, May 16, 2007.

1. HashBrown007

HashBrown007 LawnSite Member

I'm about to do a irrigation job out at near a river where there is no electricity. I need a gas-powered pump that will cut on and off when I need it.

Maybe a generator that powers a pump that is set to a timer.

My water source will be a giant pond.

I have no experience in this type, can you help me out?
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If your trenching out there to bring a water pipe from the pond, whats stopping you from throwing some conduit in the trench and bringing power to the pump?
  3. HashBrown007

The area that needs to be irrigated is adjacent to the pond. Eveything that needs irragation is no more than 30 feet from the pond.

I'm really looking for a gas generator/timer/pump set up. Know what I'm saying?
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Your be looking a very expensive generator to handle the amp draw of a pump.

I'm sure they make gas pumps that can be started via a pressureswitch.
  5. HashBrown007

The area to be irrigated is less than 8000sq.ft.

Any body got any ideas or examples of a setup that would work?
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If the pond is uphill of the area to be watered, you might consider some form of drip. How much money is available to be thrown at this problem? I wouldn't touch a no-power no-pressure job unless some deep pockets were involved.
  7. Valveman

Valveman LawnSite Member

For the gas powered pump, you will need the same kind of starter set up that they use for emergency or backup generators. They are not cheap but, you can check with Onan or some other emergency generator company.
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If the river had enough current, a ram pump could be placed in it, and then the river provides the water and the power to lift it. Odds are, though, that various governing authorities would frown on this practice.
  9. HashBrown007

The pond is downhill and the guy is probably willing to spend around 2500-3000 to have it done; including the price of all the equipment. I winder if anybody rents any of this stuff...

At the risk of sounding lazy, would you provide a link to what you have in mind specifically please?

I appreciate everyone's time and thoughts.
  10. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Pick a gas powered pump with electric start. Use a relay from the pump start on the clock and design the system for full flow. This size gas pump should also have a govenor, so your not going to have as many issues with variations in flow. A pressure switch as a high pressure cutoff connected to an engine shutoff (ground out) finishes the system.
    As long as your motor is in top working condition so you have no issues with the auto start, you should be OK. another Option would be to wire the starter through a flow switch. Flow switch reads water movement and cuts out the starter. Flow stops, and the starter comes back on. As somebody already said..........this ain't going to be cheap. FWIW, I have seen the Hunter controllers run from a 12V battery. If your pump motor w/ elec start has a charging system, your going to solve another problem.