Can you ID this plant?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JimLewis, May 15, 2003.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

What is the plant in the following picture? (not the maple or Nandina in back, the smaller ones in front, near the sidewalk.)

[​IMG]

2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

I can't see real well from the photo, but it looks like some kind of barberry to me. Is it woody, does it have dark bark, is it thorny?

3. JimLewis

No, it's definitely not a barberry. I am familiar with all of the different types of them. Not even similar when you look closer.

Here is a close-up shot. It looks almost more like a perennial, but it could be a shrub I guess too. They say it produces purple flowers.

[​IMG]

4. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

aaahhhh? One of the Hebe varieties maybe...?

This one doesn't look like the exact, but check with this nursery in your neck of the woods and send them the photo.

http://www.siskiyourareplantnursery.com/

See hebe purple

5. JimLewis

YES! I think you are correct! A good friend of mine (fellow landscaper) thought the same thing earlier today. And it makes sense because the client told me that it gets purple flowers in the summer. So I think it's one of the purple Hebe plants.

6. Green in Idaho

from Idaho

Do I win anything?
    But actually I'm not positive. But that nursery specializes in unique plants and if you are seeking more like your photo samples, they might be the best source in your area, even though I know NOTHING about your area..
    :p:rolleyes:

7. JimLewis

You win an all expenses paid trip to a local restaurant for drinks and talk about landscaping! (Travel to Tigard, OR not included. Not valid with any other promotional offer. See store for details. )

:D :D :D

8. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

This plant is known as "Smokebush" or "Smoke Tree". Otherwise known as "Cotinus Coggygria"
    According to what I've found its actually a tree that most people prune back to the ground each year so that it stays low growing and produces flowers in the early summer.
    I found it in a "Better Homes and Garden" complete guide to gardening book that I have.
    If you have any more questions about it just e-mail me and I'll get back with you.
    Hope this helps.
    Dave

9. Green in Idaho

from Idaho

Dude! Cotinus Coggyria is a TREE! Grows 8-10' High!

Again, I am not positive about the earlier ID but I am sure it is NOT continus coggyria (smoke tree)! Leaf pattern is totally different, color, stem, flowers, etc.

10. JimLewis

Yah, I am familar with the smoke tree too. This isn't that. I am pretty sure it's a Hebe.