Can you identify this Exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by perkinscl, Jun 2, 2011.

1. perkinscl

perkinscl LawnSite Member

Can anyone identify this Exmark model? It's a 48" with a 12.5 HP Kawasaki. I would think either a Metro or Viking, but the white stripes are throwing me off (haven't seen them before).

For sale locally for $1050 including the sulky,seems like a great deal unless it's vintage. Ultimately, I'm trying to see if it's a good deal.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I would say mid 90's at best.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah something ain't right with that machine, sorry and I could be wrong but it just looks too good for a thousand dollar mower,
    I would honestly prefer to see some of the wear and tear, this thing I have no idea why or what they're covering up and there's no
    way it's a newer model or it wouldn't be no thousand bucks, I dare say the only reason it looks so good is because it's been painted?

Like I said I could be wrong, but my opinion is the only way it might be all right if it belonged to a homeowner all these years,
    and then you still can't be too sure but otherwise I'd likely keep looking and a steal it probably isn't.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  4. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

That's pretty old. I like how there are covers over the belt driven wheels. That has to be like a 1989 to 1995

5. cuttinscott

cuttinscott LawnSite Member

The Stripe thing makes me believe its NOT a EXMARK but actually a ENCORE

Scott

6. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

Im pretty sure thats an encore.

And anything over $700 for that mower is a rip off.

7. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

that is an exmark late 80's early early 90's. used to have one just like it i agree $6-700 tops for the mower. does look very clean and maintained from pics so someone took good care of it.

8. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

It's an older Encore and for that price with only a 12.5hp engine on a 48" deck i would pass.

9. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

My thoughts completely, wayyyyy under powered.
    :walking:

10. Johnagain

Johnagain LawnSite Senior Member

You young guys sure don't know much about older mowers. That's an Exmark gear drive mower. These mowers were the best walk behinds available and actually had 2 pulleys to tighten the drive belts so the belts didn't slip at all. They even worked well when wet. the reverse wasn't an assist model but it would actually push you and sulky in reverse. I don't understand why they quit making this drive design it was way better than today's gear drives.

12.5 hp was a stong engine and it was the most you could get on a gear drive back then. Hydo walk behinds were just coming out and they were offering only a 14hp. I had both a 36 and 48 exmark back then and they both pulled single wheel velkes easily. I think it might have had to do with the way the belt drive was designed but not sure.

That mower is very good condition for as old as it is. I'd give a grand for it, if everything was tight.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011