Can you identify this fungus?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by matthewm, May 28, 2011.

1. matthewm

matthewm LawnSite Member

I planted a new lawn (fescue k31) 3 weeks ago and am afraid that watering too late in the evening and hot weather caused a fungus that is wiping out all

of my hard work and $$. I live in Maryland, I took off of work for 2 weeks to do this and busted my @$$. The property had not had a lawn in 20 years, I

hand picked weeds for 2 days straight on my hands and knees, the list goes on.

Anyway, it started in small circles with the cotton like fungus and ends in small brown patches of dead grass. It is slowly spreading in the front and back yard, I

put down scotts lawn fungus control. If it is pythium I have read I need subdue maxx which is high dollar as you know. Can any of you please help me

diagnose and treat this problem? It is heart breaking, I have attached pictures and thank you ahead of time.

(pics load slow please be patient)

This next picture is the latest taken today one week after noticing the patches.

2. Buck_wheat

Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member

maybe a too much moisture (irrigation);

Try Cleary Fungicide 3336. May have to do a couple of apps. Don't do too many apps with the same product because fungus will build resistense, maybe two; a good drench with copper sulfate as an alternative wouldn't hurt & it's cheap.

I'm sure the L&O guys will jump in soon.
  3. matthewm

matthewm LawnSite Member

Thank you very much! I am researching the product you recommended and am going to hold off for a little bit to see what others say. The price does not look so bad I will more than likely try it!

Appreciate your help! :)
  4. jim lero

jim lero LawnSite Member

Does the blades have any lesions? If so are they an hour glass shape that covers the leaf from side to side or do the appear to be on one side or the other? How hot has it been? What has the watering schedule been?
  5. jim lero

jim lero LawnSite Member

6. maynardGkeynes

maynardGkeynes LawnSite Senior Member

I agree dollar spot. Irrigate less, and mow to 2 inches max to help it air dry.

I would not have used K-31 for a residential lawn. There are many TTF that are better looking, with similar or better hardiness. Overseed in the fall with TTF.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You need to call a qualified professional.

Thank you.
  8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Where are you located in maryland? From the pictures it looks kind of like dollar spot.
  9. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe it varies by region, but around here Scott's Lawn Fungus contains the same active ingredient as Cleary's 3336.

Thiophanate Methyl.
  10. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

You posted this last week too.