Can you identify this turf?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a series of pictures of this grass I have never seen anywhere else. It lives in one single patch. Now weeds or other grass ever get in. It's similar to a variety of Zoyia I saw once. But it is more line green in color and grows these straw shoots with seedheads on the top.

It's always green, year around, nomatter the weather.

dsc_209.jpg

2. Envy Lawn Service

I forgot to mention that it is very coarse and tuff. Also like a padded carpet under foot.

dsc_210.jpg

3. Envy Lawn Service

Here is a picture of the shoot and seedhead. It gets up there in a hurry after a good rain.

dsc_211.jpg

4. Envy Lawn Service

:blush: Sorry about the poor quality of the pics. The digital sucks!

dsc_212.jpg

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Looks like a Bahia grass seed head, but hell, that barely stays green here in Florida year round :D

6. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

It sure looks like the bahiagrass I mow in Ar, but it goes down for the winter here. In the spring it turns green and pretty with the Bermuda then BAM!!!!! :cry: two weeks later it put out those shoots with a head and you can't cut clean with one pass until october. The more it rains the tougher it gets. It cuts best in the early morning with some dew.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Sounds even more like it! But this stuff doesn't go dormant like warm season stuff.

In a way I love this stuff, whatever it is. It's like a zoyia that doesn't go dormant. Man...what a lawn that stuff would make if properly cared for...

Perfect except for those super tuff shoots. What a nightmare...

Anyone else wanna take a guess at this one?

8. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

Hey gather me some of those seed and send them to me. It looks like Bahai grass of some sort. There are many varities. Mine is still green with 4 heavy frost on it at this time. About getting tough when raining that is when it cuts best here. When it dries out is when it usally gets tough here. Makes great yard grass very durable and will strip also. I grow it for hay and graze it with cows. Maybe a different varity than we have here. I use Tif 9 on most fields. Needs cutting weekly in most yards.
    Later
    Chan