Can you identify this?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by MLawns, Aug 7, 2006.

1. MLawns

MLawns LawnSite Member

My neighbor put some new mulch on mother's day and with the wet year we've had has a fungus growing in it. She left her house one day at 4:00 pm and everything was ok. She got home around 8:00 pm and this stuff was growing. I was there finishing the mowing & she pointed it out and asked me what it was. There were 4 spots about 6" long and 4" across. It was a mustard yellow or a little lighter and looked like spilled paint, and sticky to the touch. It was even creeping up the foundation. I was back a few days later and it looked like sprayed foam insulation, even the same color, dirty beige. She has diligently been trying to get rid of it (wears latex gloves, she's a retired RN) pulling it up and disposing of it. It has gotten into a climatis plant and looks like it may kill it (turning black at the base). What can we do to get rid of it short of replacing the mulch as I feel it may return even then? Any ideas?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

all I know is bleach kills moss and it possibly works with other fungi. Doesn't have to be 100% bleach, you can dilute it 50/50 and then use a sprayer, but be careful around plants and just cover the fungi one time good, I suppose you can saturate it but don't overdo it.