Can you jump start a 12 volt mower battery

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dfor, May 15, 2013.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I think my charging system on my walk behind mower is on the fritz. Sometimes I will have enough juice to start the mower, but not enough to engage the blades with the pto switch. Is that possible??

Secondly, can you jump start a mower using one of those portable jump starters??

Thanks.

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

As knox said yes, You can jump start the engine..... But engaging the pto afterwards will drain the battery quickly with no charging system, Continued use without the charging system can result in ruining a good battery and burning up a good clutch......

Just for info sake...... NEVER jump start a fuel injected engine, A voltage spike when jumper is removed can smoke the ECU to the tune of $400 bux....

4. dfor

Restrorob, what part usually needs replacing when the charging system fails. It's a 17 hp Kawasaki. Thanks.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

There's too many things that can fail, That's why it's best to start testing each component until the faulty part is found.

I start at the voltage regulator power supply wire (wire from unit harness to regulator) and make sure there's battery voltage there with key either off or in run position, Could be as simple as a blown fuse.

If voltage is present at the regulator perform a running unregulated stator test, If the stator passes, The voltage regulator is likely the faulty part......

6. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

For me its always been best to look at the cables to the battery and ground strap. If that passes then dig deeper. I got all nerdy and spent about 2 hours trying to find a bad connection in the wiring harness or a bad switch to then see that the ground strap was loose.

7. dfor

Update:

The problem ended up being the wiring harness in the middle of the picture. Bad connection in there. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

[​IMG]